What are the three subpixels on the screen made of?

seriously disabled

What type of screen would you like to know about? (I'd also suggest having a look at howstuffworks.com)

Liquid crystal screens of course.

And after a quick internet search I came up with this image:

90f8d6f5f8acf69d1acf3b4d4fc9504f.jpg

What I don't completely understand is what the color filters are for?

Howstuffworks is a fraud. They explain things in a very simplistic level but they don't delve enough into the technical details. They don't explain the underlying physics of liquid crystal displays and they don't explain what the materials of the screen are made of.

Edited by Uri

What I don't completely understand is what the color filters are for?

So you can display color images — varying levels of R, G and B allow you to display many colors.

Howstuffworks is a fraud. They explain things in a very simplistic level but they don't delve enough into the technical details. They don't explain the underlying physics of liquid crystal displays and they don't explain what the materials of the screen are made of.

A static system isn't able to assess the technical level of its audience, and HSW is reaching out to a more basic audience. That doesn't make them a fraud.

Wikipedia has more

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_crystal_display

So you can display color images — varying levels of R, G and B allow you to display many colors.

A static system isn't able to assess the technical level of its audience, and HSW is reaching out to a more basic audience. That doesn't make them a fraud.

Wikipedia has more

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_crystal_display

But what is the orientation film for?

But why does the light need to be polarized in the first place?

All crystals "random" (no charge): The opposing polarization prevents light from passing through.

Crystals aligned (charged): The light passes through the spiral of crystals, shifting its polarization so that it's in line with the second filter, allowing light through.