Tick

Proteus

I just accidentally removed a tick. I scratched it away when I felt something on my arm. Having removed it accidentally means that I did so carelessly. The needle was probably still in the skin. Not having tweezers, I tried to remove it with a knife, hopefully successfully, but if I hit the needle itself, this might only have made it worse. I'm pretty sure I got this tick today. Is it possible to have symptoms after one day of exposure?

I think you should seek medical attention sooner rather than later! I don't think the real aim of these forums is to provide medical advice.

But, aside from immediate medical attention.. I THINK you could develop a rash (not necessarily in the bite area) as well as headaches, blurry vision, the list goes on and on.

I just accidentally removed a tick. I scratched it away when I felt something on my arm. Having removed it accidentally means that I did so carelessly. The needle was probably still in the skin. Not having tweezers, I tried to remove it with a knife, hopefully successfully, but if I hit the needle itself, this might only have made it worse. I'm pretty sure I got this tick today. Is it possible to have symptoms after one day of exposure?

REPLY: Are you referring to Lyme disease ? If you are, I would not get too upset if you removed the tick before it showed signs of blood intake. They are very flat until this blood uptake takes place. I live in an area off and on where there are both many deer and ticks. I suggest you do a google search such as: Lyme disease explained+wikipedia , to learn what there is to know about it. From time to time I find a tick on myself and understand your concern. People around here don`t worry about it much. Maybe they are being foolish. It is always advisable to do a thorough examination of your self every day if you live in an area where deer and ticks are common. I do not get all upset every time I discover a tick. If by some remote chance you were infected with lyme disease the characteristic bulls eye red mark will show up around where the bite occurred. Do that google search as I suggested if you are concerned about it. ...DS

The critical point is when it injects its saliva. That is when the transmission of bacteria or viruses occurs. Moreover, if you injure it or squeeze it during removal it may actually continue or secrete more, that is why it is recommended to remove it carefully. In addition to Lyme disease caused by Borrelia burgdorferi (which is quite an interesting bug for several reasons) they may also transmit a number of other bacteria and viruses that cause encephalopathies.

That being said depending on region the ticks are more or less likely to transmit diseases. That is something you may want to look up. Also if there is no reddening of the bite, it is possible that he did not hit any blood vessels, further decreasing the likelihood of any infection.

If you develop a rash or any other persistent symptoms you should seek medical attention and mention the tick bite. However they can take quite a while to develop. And finally,

I know how to remove it, but, well, it's a bit late now, since I removed it by accident.

Just how long can it take before I get a rash? And is it possible, IF I AM infected, that I still don't get a rash at all? If it's certain the rash will appear if I'm infected, then there's nothing to worry about, since, with my foreknowledge, it would basically mean I'll have red alarm lights flickering everywhere as an indicator, ensuring that it won't go unnoticed to phase two or three, where the real problems like encephalopathies occur.