Super-quick freezed ice would sink in water....

dr.syntax

According to this page http://www1.lsbu.ac.uk/water/amorph.html about amorphous ice and glassy water you would need to extend your method to include higher pressure, in order to form high density glassy water from hyper quenched glassy water. This would presumably sink.

I'm not sure it would be stable though because as far as i can make out its not in thermodynamic equilibrium, rather the change is just very slow.

This is actually bugging the hell out of me because i don't understand how high density glassy water can be the most abundant form of ice in the universe and yet not in equilibrium. If its changing even minutely i would have thought the majority of ice would be in a more stable form, given the time span available.

Anyway this graphic (from the above site) shows the neccesary conditions and processes to form various types of ice;

amorph.gif

REPLY: After all the hoopla I had already created I did not dare to note that it is the most common form of ice/solid water in the Universe. Yet, there it is clearly stated in an article I read. Yet, if you stop and think about it, outer space is so very cold,the conditions would seem to suggest that this is exactly what one would expect to occur.

Now this a question,not a speculation. Would it seem likely to any of you more knowledgeable people out there that because the vast majority of the Universe is so very cold that the vast majority of water that exists in the Universe is in fact this amorphous solid state water ? I do not know enough about how water comes to be in outer space to venture a guess, at least not in this forum. ...Dr.Syntax

Edited by dr.syntax

REPLY: After all the hoopla I had already created I did not dare to note that it is the most common form of ice/solid water in the Universe. Yet, there it is clearly stated in an article I read. Yet, if you stop and think about it, outer space is so very cold,the conditions would seem to suggest that this is exactly what one would expect to occur.

Now this a question,not a speculation. Would it seem likely to any of you more knowledgeable people out there that because the vast majority of the Universe is so very cold that the vast majority of water that exists in the Universe is in fact this amorphous solid state water ? I do not know enough about how water comes to be in outer space to venture a guess, at least not in this forum. ...Dr.Syntax

The belief that the most common atom in the Universe, hydrogen bombarded solid blocks of frozen oxygen. This has been tested and water has been formed this way. It is believed this may be a possibility of how water is formed in space. It may also explain why water in space is mostly amorphous.

Furthermore hydrogen and oxygen are some of the most common elements in the Universe, because they form bonds easily this makes H20 very common in the Universe.