Black hole question

Darth Bane

I know that nothing can escape a black hole but then i heard that a positive particle and a negative particle spining together can allow one to escape the gravity of the black hole?

so can any one tell me which one it is.

nothing can escape black holes or can something esape a black holes.

:confused:

Nothing can escape a black hole, once it has gone past the event horizon. This is why a particle/antiparticle pair will sometimes get split... If they are created very near the event horizon, one may be slightly within the horizon and the other slightly beyond the horizon... So one will be pulled in while the other can escape.

So, the event horizon is the key factor here. Once within the horizon, nothing (not even light) can escape, but beyond the horizon its gravity is like any other star. When things like particle antiparticle pairs come into existence very near to the horizon, some interesting things happen (you can look up Hawking Radiation for more on this concept).

Darth; Here is a very good description of a black hole. We can detect x-ray energy from a BH, as described, matter reactions heading toward. Since what ever energy (including light, if any) emitted (from the BH) basically will orbit the hole, not attaining escape velocity at C (186k m/p/s) it would be hard to understand how any particle of matter, could escape or more important how we would ever know.

However, if a black hole passes through a cloud of interstellar matter, or is close to another "normal" star, the black hole can accrete matter into itself. As the matter falls or is pulled towards the black hole, it gains kinetic energy, heats up and is squeezed by tidal forces. The heating ionizes the atoms, and when the atoms reach a few million Kelvin, they emit X-rays. The X-rays are sent off into space before the matter crosses the Schwarzschild radius and crashes into the singularity. Thus we can see this X-ray emission.[/Quote]

Any emitted photons are trapped into an orbit by the intense gravitational field; they will never leave it. Because no light escapes after the star reaches this infinite density, it is called a black hole.[/Quote]

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/science/know_l2/black_holes.html

Type I X-ray bursts are frequently observed in neutron star X-ray binaries, but no Type I burst has ever been seen in any black hole X-ray binary. It is argued that the lack of bursts in the latter sources is strong evidence that the accreting stars have event horizons. [/Quote]

http://ptp.ipap.jp/link?PTPS/155

Jackson - No light can escape a black hole once it's passed the event horizon. The bursts of xrays and other such particles which we can see are actually the result of matter coming together and colliding BEFORE they cross the event horizon. Once past the event horizon, we don't/can't see them any longer.