what are some sterile techniques for staph aureus?

Greeny

My wife contracted MRSA 3 yrs. during a shoulder repl. op. So I read some. Best I can recommend is to research JAMA or NEJM for the latest. One interesting thing, though. While waiting in an outpatient lab, I noticed a recent issue of some 'Material Science' trade journal amongst the year old 'People Magazines'. I flipped through it and found an article relating an 'accidental' find by a researcher who found that, when placed on a copper surface, the bugs quickly perish! His prediction was that one day we shall see copper rather than stainless steel everywhere from the OR to the TV remote in the patient rooms.

I flipped through it and found an article relating an 'accidental' find by a researcher who found that, when placed on a copper surface, the bugs quickly perish! His prediction was that one day we shall see copper rather than stainless steel everywhere from the OR to the TV remote in the patient rooms.

Interesting idea. Copper actually kills lots of different bacteria, and for example seems to be the reason why some people can get away with drinking dirty water due to storing it in copper containers.

Isolate it first. Then burn the stupid metal stick/loop. Take the metal stick and collect some staph. Open a tube by taking cap off. Heat the end of the tube with TSA by passing it through a fire a couple of times. Place the loop in the tube, and spread. Recap, and set aside. Redo when needing more S. aureus due to cellular death.

Right? Or am I wrong and forgetting microbio sterile techniques?

And make sure your bench is clean. Get rid of mold and stuff, because fungi will screw with cultivation.

You forgot the most important one. Personal protection. S. aureus are biosafety level 2. Before thinking of handling them get a formal training. At minimum a biosafety hood is required (certified for BSL2 and up, which most are). All work that may create aerosols (including pipetting) or involves handling of cultures in significant amounts have to be conducted under the hood. In addition appropriate personal protection gear has to be worn. Finally the details of cultivation depend on volume and type (e.g. batch cultures, plate cultures, etc.). There is quite an assortment of techniques that are regularly used. Depending on the hood, burners may be inappropriate, for instance (as they may interfere with the laminar stream and hence reduce the protection).

??

I never was forced to handle S. aureus under the hood. If it were a MRSA mutation, you bet I'd be wearing gloves, a mask, have a hood, and more. Unless you're describing something that the government regulates and forces on people, I don't think having the biosafety equipment is too necessary. Hoods are expensive.

But I guess if a person is trying to keep a sterile and clean lab, then a hood would help with any bacterial aerosol that evolves.

I do remember getting a bit of S. aureus on my finger a couple of times from slipping up. All it did was make my skin a little itchy, but the symptoms went away within 24 hours. So, gloves, if not a hood, ought to be used.

Edited by Genecks

• 2 years later...

I work for one year over many pathogenic bacteria including MRSA, and I think that speciall simple procedures of hygenic is enough what we can do: flame burner, rubber gloves, not touching each other glove, apron and during operation,disinfection of items that touched at work, changing gloves.There are the basic of course if we have laminar air is perfect but not necessary.