Aberrant behaviour - Is higher intelligence likely to be shunned?

I know that nerve endings are jangling from some recent arguments about evolution but this is a fact-finding mission...

I am making a hypothesis here: I hypothesise that if an animal, let's say a chimp, is more intelligent and designs a more useful tool for digging up juicy insects, the behaviour will be seen in a more positive light by the 'tribe' and the behaviour copied.

Another hypothesis: If a chimp is as intelligent as the rest of the troop but shows aberrant behaviour or abnormal traits, i.e. signs of synesthesia or OCD, or even the aftermaths of a disease, then it is a perceived negative behaviour and will be rejected by the rest of its troop.

The question is: If a chimp arises with a 'genius' IQ for the chimp world, what are the chances of it being shunned by the community? If it is shunned then it has implications for the evolution of high intelligence in hominids.

Behavior - especially social behavior - and intelligence aren't all that intertwined.

If this genius chimp happens to have an intelligence that allows him or her to be a better manipulator of social structures, then said chimp will be very successful. If the intelligence is more focused on tool building, then his or her social instincts are going to be the decider in success within the troupe.

If the chimp's social instincts are significantly divergent, then he or she is going to fail within the troupe - unless the intelligence gives him or her the ability to grasp the social structure and imitate or manipulate it. SImilarly, if the chimp is of lesser intellect, his social skills will still be the primary measure of success unless he or she is incapable of learning "cultural" behavior.

In short, the particular skills of the new intelligence have some effect on the chimp's success in the troupe, but his or her social skills will be paramount.

Jill hit many nails on their heads with the above. The ability to problem solve (the intelligence as Jimmy seems to have identified it) is not as important as the ability to get along with fellow members of the group and follow the expectations of the group.

While there's a chance that social competence is inversely related to problem-solving/engineering style intelligence, I really don't think that correlation would be very strong.

On the other side of that coin, though... At least in humans... often people who are really bright and spend significant amounts of time trying to solve problems and riddles in their heads tend to turn inward and separate themselves a bit from society... I'm thinking like a hermit... whereby they isolate themselves to allow for better focus and fewer distractions (they tend to prioritize the ability to "figure something out" over the ability to "fit in well" with the group). If this same thing happens with other animals, then obviously that tendency toward isolation will result in negative perceptions among the larger community since our role in the group is dictated by the amount and type of effort we put into nurturing that role.

Behavior - especially social behavior - and intelligence aren't all that intertwined.

In short, the particular skills of the new intelligence have some effect on the chimp's success in the troupe, but his or her social skills will be paramount.

Interesting perspective and thank you for the contribution. I am trying to apply this to humans and I think that the environment, in particular, the culture of an area, is also important in human behaviour. However, it may be possible to extend the idea of culture to other animals. For example, in killer whales, there are 'cultures' that would eat humans and 'cultures' that won't. Adaptation to the norms of a culture is important and it backs up what you say.

(from iNow) While there's a chance that social competence is inversely related to problem-solving/engineering style intelligence, I really don't think that correlation would be very strong.
OK, I could go along with that.

(from iNow) the other side of that coin, though... At least in humans... often people who are really bright and spend significant amounts of time trying to solve problems and riddles in their heads tend to turn inward and separate themselves a bit from society... I'm thinking like a hermit... whereby they isolate themselves to allow for better focus and fewer distractions (they tend to prioritize the ability to "figure something out" over the ability to "fit in well" with the group). If this same thing happens with other animals, then obviously that tendency toward isolation will result in negative perceptions among the larger community since our role in the group is dictated by the amount and type of effort we put into nurturing that role.

And this is what I was trying to get at. Introspection is not a particularly positive trait if it is a dominant behaviour. Which led me to the question in the first place. A practical genius does not have to be high in intelligence but a 'thinker' might be a problem for a troupe (thanks to Jill for correcting my spelling).

On the other side of that coin, though... At least in humans... often people who are really bright and spend significant amounts of time trying to solve problems and riddles in their heads tend to turn inward and separate themselves a bit from society... I'm thinking like a hermit... whereby they isolate themselves to allow for better focus and fewer distractions (they tend to prioritize the ability to "figure something out" over the ability to "fit in well" with the group).

Hm, that got me thinking. After looking stuff up, it seems about 70% of people are extroverted and 30% introverted... However, as IQ rises, the ratio of introverts to extroverts increases, with introverts eventually outnumbering extroverts.

Hm, that got me thinking. After looking stuff up, it seems about 70% of people are extroverted and 30% introverted... However, as IQ rises, the ratio of introverts to extroverts increases, with introverts eventually outnumbering extroverts.

Interesting... I was thinking about the possibility of a chimp genius arising by chance in a troupe and then having to find a mate. From what has been said so far, it looks like an intelligent and socially aware chimp would be far more suited to finding a mate and propagating his/her genes than one that is introverted. If the same rules apply as to humans then this is a sort of prouf that extremely high intelligence is selected against by lack of mating potential.

PS: It took me 24 hours to think of the 'prouf' thing. How sad!