Location of VY CM

might help if you actually give us the name of the star.

VY CM doesn't return anything of use. i suspect you have shortened the name of it to the initials and expect us to use our mindreading satellites to pluck this knowledge from your head. unfortunately they were knocked out when sayonara decided to hold a bull run in the server room.

If you don't know what VY CM is then don't ****ing answer this question! Are you stupid? I'm done with this forum I've asked like three questions and I've only gotten complaints from smart-asses and dumbshits.

It's called common sense. Apparently you speak for everyone here - I havn't gotten any scientific answers yet.

Seriously get a life. Is this what you do - post smartass remarks to questions just because it's beyond your comprehenstion?

I'm new to forums, but it looks like I'm smarter than all of you here because I'm the only one who even knows what I'm talking about. Bye

Edited by AltAirPilot517

I presume you mean VY Canis Majoris. Unfortunately I cannot find any information about which arm of the galaxy it is in, except for what constellation it's located in. Perhaps there's a map of the galaxy somewhere with a scale in light-years that you can use to locate the arms within 5000 light-years of Earth?

yeah, so because i don't know that YV CM means off the top of my head obviously means i don't have a clue right.

well, that isn't the case. i have an interest in astronomy, sure i don't know the name of every star (don't even have a star map) but i do enjoy stargazing when its a clear night.

the canis major constellation lies along the orion spur. this means that all the stars in the canis major constellation lie within the the orion spur.

If you don't know what VY CM is then don't ****ing answer this question! Are you stupid? I'm done with this forum I've asked like three questions and I've only gotten complaints from smart-asses and dumbshits.

It's called common sense. Apparently you speak for everyone here - I havn't gotten any scientific answers yet.

Seriously get a life. Is this what you do - post smartass remarks to questions just because it's beyond your comprehenstion?

I'm new to forums, but it looks like I'm smarter than all of you here because I'm the only one who even knows what I'm talking about. Bye

The attitude presented here is unacceptable. You are asking for the benefit of others' time and expertise. The least you can do is ask politely and provide a modicum of clarification when it is requested

I asked a simple question. And got a smartass answer. How am I wrong for defending myself?

If you don't know the answer fine, don't answer it. Why is that hard to understand? I'm fed up with people like this. And it's because of people like you who defend people like that that they are thriving.

Can someone please direct me to a forum with people who know what they're talking about and aren't rude? Btw I'm not rude until you're rude to me.

Edited by AltAirPilot517

I asked a simple question. And got a smartass answer. How am I wrong for defending myself?

If you don't know the answer fine, don't answer it. Why is that hard to understand? I'm fed up with people like this. And it's because of people like you who defend people like that that they are thriving.

Can someone please direct me to a forum with people who know what they're talking about and aren't rude? Btw I'm not rude until you're rude to me.

If you have a problem with a post, use the "report post" function. It's the red-outline triangle icon.

Asking people if they are stupid, and calling them smart-asses and dumbshits is not acceptable discourse. (And, BTW, arguing with a moderator about it isn't the wisest strategy either) Focus on the science question, and drop the attitude. At least consider the possibility that you posed a question that was unclear, especially considering that it was answered once the terminology was clarified.

Well unlike scientists here I have common sense. Yeah, the question was answered somewhat. But hey, if you don't know what VY CM is 1) you can NOT answer as crazy as that sounds, 2) if you are so tempted to answer but don't know, you can google it 3) I'm pretty sure anyone who already knows about canis major knows what canis majoris is.

Using common sense can avoid arguments like this.

This is what the world has come to. People need everything spelled out for them.

insane alien: that makes sense, you know where it is but you've never heard of it..

I don't care who you are, I don't care if you're a "moderator". That doesn't mean your any more right than me. I'm not afraid to point out stupid, and in this case it came to me.

Edited by AltAirPilot517

Okay, this is enough. The question's been answered already.

AltAirPilot517: Perhaps some people haven't heard the acronym before. Google showed no uses of "VY CM" in the context of a star for several pages... the star you're looking for popped up only when I say Canis Majoris in another result and changed the search terms around.

There's nothing wrong with asking for clarification of what you mean. When he knew the full name of the star he was able to answer your question.

So this is quite enough arguing for this thread.

(Also: moderators are volunteer staff members who help regulate discussions and have the power to delete and move posts around. They enforce the rules.)

AltAirPilot: i know what canis majoris is. i just didn't know it had the designation VY CM. i only know it as canis majoris(although i now know it has the designation VY CM). and googling VY CM didn't bring anything up about stars which is why i asked for clarification.

although i now know it has the designation VY CM

You were right the first time around. VY CM is nonsense, which is why google returns nonsense for this designation. If on the other hand he had asked where VY CMa is you would have been answer quickly.