Give positive / negative rep to the same person

I agree with the system where you cannot give rep to the same person twice...

But I recently gave negative rep to someone (for a stupid post which was scientifically wrong, and also off topic), but then I found that the same guy had posted a very decent post somewhere else... but I wasn't allowed to give positive rep (I had to spread it a bit first). It turned out that the person wasn't a stupid spammer/troll, but I just had just found his/her worst post first. I wanted to encourage him/her to stay because of the other post... but now I gave only a negative message.

Therefore I propose to change the system a bit so that you can only give positive rep to the same guy once (and then you have to spread it a bit before giving it again)... and the same for negative. But it should be possible to give positive directly after negative, and vice versa. It's not possible to abuse this, IMHO.

Why not just spread it around a bit? Go rep one or two other people, and come back to the post you wanted to thank the original person for... If nothing else, this has the benefit of not requiring coding changes to achieve what you desire. :)

Why not just spread it around a bit? Go rep one or two other people, and come back to the post you wanted to thank the original person for... If nothing else, this has the benefit of not requiring coding changes to achieve what you desire. :)

I believe there is also a time limit of 24 hours - so no matter what the poor poster would live with that wee smack in the face for a day before you could mitigate it.

Just think of the psychological damage! ;)

Although the amount of posts I have on my name don't suggest it, I don't always have time to search around for 2 good posts. And I refuse to just click on some random posts simply because I need to give rep to a certain person.

And if it wasn't for this thread I made here, I would have forgotten about giving negative rep altogether by now.