Just dropped all my classes

jgerlica

I am now officially a drop out. I love life... Though on the bright side, my wife now has a job with a respectable firm, so relocating doesn't seem like so terrible an option. It would be great to stay and all, but I'm not going to watch her take a job in no way related to her degree just so I can piddle around.

Well I finished my last exams today and now look forward to about 15 months of undefined activities (also known as a "gap year"). My current music is "I Don't Have to Work Tomorrow" by The Gaskets. And I agree, it feels grand!

Well, I have to get a part-time job now, and I'll be trying to write something in my new livejournal account (fiction writing) every day, and lots and lots of reading of fiction and non-fiction - fiction to improve my writing, and non-fiction to improve my chances of getting accepted at the next Cambridge interview. I figure if I can write 3000 words a day, or even 2500, I should have done a million words by the end of the year, and when I really get into a novel I can finish it in about 3 days so I'll have read a lot by then too. I start my first stuff on that account in two days, and I'll be spending most of tomorrow working on the first stuff. But I'll probably still be bored after 2 weeks. :)

I'm sure you'll find a way to pass the time though jgerlica. The secret lies in doing the same thing for a long time without getting bored of it. Computer games are not the answer (and I'm speaking from experience here, though I confess I am about the start playing one right after posting this), unless you found some form of consructive RPG (ha!) that suited you, in which csae you can kiss goodbye to a good 9 months of your life in one year alone.

I were you though I'd take this opportunity to do all those things you'll just say some time later when you have a job that you can't do "because you don't have time", like learn another language or a musical instrument.

Out of curiousity, what were the subjects that you were doing, and why did you decide to drop them?