About Unix softwares...............

albertlee

I am currently now studying FreeBSD,

I am confused about the terms being used in Unix softwares,

what is port? and what is package?

secondly, when I download the softwares,do I get only the source codes? because I wonder will the program work in other platform with also FreeBSD...

Apreciating for furthur responds

Albert

FreeBSD (as far as I'm aware) comes pre-compiled with the major librarys (i.e. glibc, libstdc++) that you need. It's up to you to compile/install your own stuff as you need it, and as far as I know it doesn't have a package management system.

A package is (and I don't know whether this is the proper definition in terms of BSD/Linux) a file that tells the computer information about a certain program. For example, an rpm package for RedHat Linux might contain a certain program as well as the information about it, how to compile it, where it's got to be stored, etc.

A port of a program is the modification of the program to make it work on a different operating system.

Ok, in my own words, to make sure I understand those terms......

a package contains the programs and tell the computer how to install it....is it like the InstallationShield on Windows? which you click it and it runs?

A port is like Java binary codes in principle

right?

Albert

a package contains the programs and tell the computer how to install it....is it like the InstallationShield on Windows? which you click it and it runs?

A port is like Java binary codes in principle

Warning, sharp learning curve ahead, lol.

well, I have tried Mandrake, and I see that it is not very well on installing, maybe because of the hardware compability......

Any way, I dont think It is not good to start out FreeBSD, because to me, it is just like Dos commands...

It is somehow that easy Linux looks more windows and FreeBSD looks more Dos, and I rather choose FreeBSD,which is more fundamental to learn

Not really. There's plently of shell stuff and config files in any Linux distro to keep you busy.

DOS is not the way forwards. Regardless of what people believe and say DOS is NOT the underlying structure of Windows. It is dead. It lies next to Latin, Dodo's and MC Hammer's music. It's handy sometimes for troubleshooting Windows because there is a handy little emulator built in but that's about the extent of it.

Well, first of all, I think I hate those Linux distributors who make Linux with GUI and make it tends to be so easy, like windows.........

I think this is just personal reason that I want to start FreeBSD, because as I have heard, since Linux is so free, some programs that were designed on certain distro of linux may not work on others, no one maintains a level of compability........

Most of all, I know Dos is dead, completely.....

What I am saying is just an idea that if DOS is the underlying kernel, and Windows is somehow the X window, then I would probably start learning the commands.........

because for Unix/Linux, it is very important to know its commands without x window, same as Dos, you have to know how to use the commands and their config...

FreeBSD would be probably better to use while learning the fundamental computer knowledge, and there is also plenty of free educational softwares for science, maths, etc.......that makes it so better than XP......well, except for playing games....:)

Albert

Well, I think originality shall be better than clone ;-)

To Dave, well,I know it is no point not to x window, but when I am learning Unix, I would not want to start from x window................

More over, I donnot mean that Linux is bad, it is at least easier than Unix (I think), but somehow it works slower than Unix, and the Linux I got is not compatible with my CD-Rom on my laptop (but it works on my Desktop).........So, I dont want to bother to download others again,............

Albert

To Dave' date=' well,I know it is no point not to x window, but when I am learning Unix, I would not want to start from x window................[/quote']

Uhm, well here's an idea: when you boot your linux, do not type startx :P

More over, I donnot mean that Linux is bad, it is at least easier than Unix (I think), but somehow it works slower than Unix

I see that you're still very, very confused about the whole thing.

Uhm, well here's an idea: when you boot your linux, do not type startx

Most desktop distros set it to start up the X server automatically, you can change it during the installation but the default is (usually) for it to hold your hand. Whether that's a good or a bad thing depends entirely on your pont of view though.

Although to be honest I don't know why you wouldn't want to run xfree

Nerd chic? :P

Below is a table of the comparison of windows, linux and unix...........

http://people.freebsd.org/~murray/bsd_flier.html

I just still dont get why people still think that Linux has a better performance.......

In my situation, Unix would be better than Mandrake Linux, because it supports all my devices...............and it works just fine on installation....

For mandrake, when I use its CD to install, it has an error on the sector of CD........

and for the drivers, it cant detect my wireless lan card......

Albert

Ditto, three reasons:

1. It's out of date by quite a severe margin. Notice it makes no mention of XP which superceded 2000 also:

and the 2.4 release of the Linux kernel will introduce

If I recall the 2.4 kernel came out quite a while ago. The version of SuSE I'm running is using 2.6.4.

2. Consider the source, a website hosted by freebsd.org. Enough said really.

3. Some of it's criteria appears to be based on opinion rather then testable fact, you'll notice on the very first criteria is uses the phrase "numerous testimonials". This is furthar compounded by the second point, testimonials can be interpreted to suit their purpose due their vague nature compared to scientific benchtesting.

Any way, what's the point to try out Linux instead of Freebsd?

I think since Mandrake is not compatible with my laptop, I am going to try out Slackware...... Compared to FreeBSD, what is its difficulty on installation?

Albert

To dave, As I have said before, I got those pissing-me-off bad CD sectors when my DVD-ROM is trying to load Mandrake in my laptop.......and I am so sure that the CD is fine because it works on my desktop, but not laptop....

For FreeBSD, it is just fine when installing to my laptop....

Again, what is the point of using linux instead of FreeBSD?

More over, compared with Slackware, which one is easier?

Albert

Linux is more of a desktop-based OS, BSD is geared towards servers and enterprise application.

I've not installed or used either slackware or FreeBSD to any great extent, so I can't really help you with that one.