About Unix softwares...............

albertlee

More over, compared with Slackware, which one is easier?

Hehe, Slackware is called "slack"-ware for a reason. It is bundled with the bare essentials (at least compared to other distros) and has poor hardware support, if you had difficulty getting Mandrake to install just wait until you see the old skool text based installer and fdisk. It is a good distro for tweaking and it's entirely developed by volunteers so I like it a lot, however I doubt you'll have much fun with it. Wait until you're on a bit more surer footing with Linux before giving that a try. I haven't tried FreeBSD so I couldn't compare but if it has a graphical installer then it's head and shoulders above Slackware in terms of ease of use.

Again, what is the point of using linux instead of FreeBSD?

Personal preference, ease of use, hardware issues, company loyalty, there are any number of reasons but they are all down to individual factors rather then any sweeping single reason.

Linux hardware support is probably a darn sight better than FreeBSD hardware support, expecially with things like PCMCIA. There's not a lot of people I know using FreeBSD on their laptops.