Just... incomprehensibly sad. [well, not anymore]

JillSwift

Wow that is depressing.

Our own library system, voted the best in the country, had to cut back on operating hours. A few months ago they were pretty much begging for donations, saying that it might be possible that they would have to close branches..It's still possible.

I wonder what they would do with all those books.

That's really alarming. Public libraries, aside from being ridiculously good bargains as sources of free media, are de facto community centers in a very real sense, and inevitably a headquarters and resource for self-improvement, finding employment, ESL, studying for standardized tests, sanctuary and workplace for kids who want to learn but don't have a suitable home environment, etc. Exactly the kind of thing that does the most good in hard times.

I'm just waiting for the dyed-in-the-wool right wingers to explain why this is a good thing.

Well, I am not a right winger, but I think that the Pennsylvania state senate passing a bill to prevent the library closing is a good thing. Don't you?

Well, I am not a right winger, but I think that the Pennsylvania state senate passing a bill to prevent the library closing is a good thing. Don't you?

Do you happen to have a link to a story for that? I sure could use some happy news right about now.

Same link you supplied, Jill.. it is now routing to a new page:

We are thrilled to announce that the Pennsylvania State Senate passed bill 1828 by a vote of 32 to 17. For all of you who have been following the saga over the city's budget crisis, this is the legislation that was needed for the City of Philadelphia to avoid the "Doomsday" Plan C budget scenario, which would have resulted in the layoff of 3,000 city employees and forced the closing of all libraries.

Same link you supplied, Jill.. it is now routing to a new page:

We are thrilled to announce that the Pennsylvania State Senate passed bill 1828 by a vote of 32 to 17. For all of you who have been following the saga over the city's budget crisis, this is the legislation that was needed for the City of Philadelphia to avoid the "Doomsday" Plan C budget scenario, which would have resulted in the layoff of 3,000 city employees and forced the closing of all libraries.

/me does Yay bum-wiggle happy-feets dance.

Can a mod please change the title of this thread? (add '[solved, not sad anymore]' or something).

This thread now merely serves as a warning for anyone interested in science and information: anything (even a library) can fall victim to a budget cut if somebody thinks there won't be too many people protesting... especially if that means that the one deciding can get a bonus (since the budget was saved).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.