Homemade Diamonds

C_C

it is easy to make diamonds from coal. thye just wouldn't be worth much as industrial diamonds are cheap. it's only diamonds used in jewelery that are expensive and artificially at that. its possible (and economically viable) to produce artificial diamonds of better quality than those used in jewelery.

gold from urine is a bit silly. there needs to be gold in it first to make extraction possible and gold is biologically inert so unlikely to disolve into something capable of being excreted as urine.

your solid excretions on the other hand well, then you stnad a reasonable chance of finding some. especially if you've ate something with gold flake on it :P

Diamonds have been made in the lab for decades, with gem quality diamonds, even in rare diamond colors, fabricated and sold by companies such as Chatham Emeralds.

smalldiagroup.jpg

Making diamonds is not as difficult as it sounds and can be done with things around the well stocked lab. Quality takes some tricks. One piece of equipment needed is an anvil press. Picture two pyramids touching apex to apex (top to top). Hydraulic pressure is applied to the bases of the two pyramids, causing the pressure or pounds/in2 of small hydraulic press to become amplified, where the two apexes meet. Using this technique one can generate 1Million PSI or better, at the apex junction, using an off the shelf couple of ton press. It was invented back in the 1950's.

At the apex junction of our anvil press, we place impurity free carbon in a special capsule made of material like tungsten carbide. If we want a colored diamond, we add a pinch of the impurity needed for that color. There are also catalysts one can add, including water.

To prevent the capsule from crushing, when we crank up the press, we place a donut assemble parallel to the bases of the pyramids, where the two apex meet. This has high tensile strength and supports the lateral pressures so the diamond has to stay put. Then we apply the pressure and heat; presto

Before I started writing, I did a lot of research growing gem quality crystals. I was more into hydrothermal and molten flux. I learned about diamonds, but never has the pleasure. Relative to writing, being original is harder that being a parrot.

• 4 months later...

well, no, but thats because they aren't cut to enhance their sparkliness and aesthetic qualities. but rather to enchance optical transmittance.

also, i haven't forgotten about my own attempt. i currently have the funds and have bought soem materials for the vacuum chamber but i don't have a lot of time.