element-collection

admiral_ju00

I dunno if anybody had a chance to see the set(let alone buy it), but the idea is very intriguing.

However, my question is, since they include sample elements(including the radioactive one/s), what about the gasses? since there's no picture on their site, I guess that I'll look like an empty bottle then, or is there a way to stain these things?

http://www.element-collection.com/

and more specifically this is what i'm talking about:

http://www.element-collection.com/index2.htm

Yea, you can stain some of them, but mostly you look at them under a different light. its easier. looks very cool. i want one. looks like there is the gasses in the tray....

I dont think they will have the "decently" radioactive ones, as the said in the title "contains 92 naturally occuring elements" so my guess is they dont put the radoiactive isotopes in onlty the stable isotopes

I dont think they will have the "decently" radioactive ones' date=' as the said in the title "contains 92 naturally occuring elements" so my guess is they dont put the radoiactive isotopes in onlty the stable isotopes[/quote']

There aren't 92 stable elements. 82Pb is the heaviest stable element, and Tc and Pm are lighter - neither has any stable isotopes. 83Bi has a really long half-life, but it is radioactive. And everything heavier is, too.

Their loophole is that they say that there may be only a few atoms of the radioactives in their sample. Which is good, because Tc is really hard to find (on earth) unless you involve a reactor or accellerator.

with the exception of Thorium, I don`t know of any element past #83 that can be stable as in non radioactive

Why is Thorium an exception? It has no stable isotopes. Th-232 is long-lived, but it still decays.

are you sure it has non? I`m aware that there are traces of decay even in the nitrate form as used in Gas Mantles, but am reasonably certain that it was down to difficulty in purification.

I`ll stand to be corrected if I`m wrong however :)

[edit] My bad, you`re quite right, 232 will decay, it just takes over 14 billion years.

Nice! but Bhorium? http://www.theodoregray.com/PeriodicTable/Elements/107/index.html

I`ve never even heard of that, never mind knowing WHERE to get it LOL :)

I also collect chems, not so much the elements, but salts of them, I`m no where near his quantity for raw elements, but it is an interesting project/goal, anyway, it kicks A$$ outa stamps and such :)

how often does the periodic table updated, i have a massive poster of it and its missing a few that i can see on the net. isnt 232Th that stable isotope? the highest radioisotope is 230 isnt it with a h-l of 75400 years? i still have alot to learn about radioactiveness so excuse me please.

well I have a T`shirt with the periodic table on it (it`s over 20 years old) it only goes up to element 103.

so I wouldn`t worry unduely about it, as wer`e VERY UNLIKELY to ecounter them or questions about them, and those that ARE likely to, will know about the others anyway :)

the PTOE is updated regularly (or at least under reveiw) by the scientific comunity, at the moment there`s alot of politics going on about naming them :(

anything past Ceruim (lanthanides) or Thorium (Actinides) you`ll probably not encounter :)

so whats the authority on it if there is? only realised that Lanthanoids + Actinoids is named after the first elements on the row. my science teacher told me that they have found most element apart from discovering ones made by nuclear fission, but they are still trying to work on period 7 but its full on some websites and only half full on the table she showed me. shes the type of teacher that will answer ALL my chemisrty + physics questions but today she handed me a book 2 inches thick :(.

well the Authority as to naming them is a bit all over the place, it`s all politics, and each tries to have an equal claim etc, etc...

it`s really rather boring and childish in all honesty :(

there`s isn`t AN Authority like a president or prime minister to decide, it`s all debated at length ad nauseum :(

I wouldn`t really look to them for answers, as what is the current name NOW, may not be the same 2moro.

anything from 103 backwards will be reasonably safe bet then, it includes some radioactive elements, but you can be fairly sure their name is rock solid for history and unlikely to change or be transient.

20 years established with a name... Very unlikely to change :)

how often does the periodic table updated, i have a massive poster of it and its missing a few that i can see on the net. isnt 232Th that stable isotope? the highest radioisotope is 230 isnt it with a h-l of 75400 years? i still have alot to learn about radioactiveness so excuse me please.

No, as I stated and YT confirmed, even Th-232 radioactive, but since the half-life is long compared to the age of the earth, there is still a significant bit of it about (and anything in its decay chain should be present in some quantity as well. To be radioactive and naturally occurring it either has to have a half life longer than ~ 109 years or be continually produced somehow, either in a decay chain or an induced reaction like the one that prduces C-14)

Th was (and perhaps still is) used in gas mantles because it fluoresces nicely. It's also used in high quality lenses because it makes very high index glass when added to the mix. Since the half-life is so long, you aren't going to lose that many atoms to decay.

Th was (and perhaps still is) used in gas mantles because it fluoresces nicely.

that and Cerium (also radioactive in many instances but does have a stable form)

Cerium incidently is chemicaly similar in reactivity to Calcium, and Calcium was also used in lighting once upon a time, hence the term " in the Lime Light" :)

of topic I know, but non the less interesting :)

• 2 months later...

A "complete" element collection does not "contains 92 naturally occuring elements". That is simply impossible!

The most long lived isotope of 87 Fr (Fr 223): half life 22 minutes;

the most long lived isotope of 85 At (At 210): half life 8.1 hours.

On the other hand, uranium (U 238) in minerals naturally produces tiny amounts of 93 Np and 94 Pu. So the "naturally occuring elements" actually are 94, not 92.

By restricting the collection to the elements with at least one stable isotope, the number of "collectable" elements are 80 (1 H - 82 Pb, except 43 Tc and 61 Pm). By regarding 83 Bi as a collectable element, despite its very long half life (2x10^19 y), then there are 81 collectable elements.

Even with such restriction, it is very hard to get a proper sample of every collectable element!

Where to buy the collectable elements? Try eBay!

Example:

"RARE-EARTH METAL ELEMENT SET. Offered is a complete set of Rare-Earth metal element samples. In this set are 16 unique, fascinating and exotic metals which are rarely or never encountered in everyday life. Until very recently these metals were not available to the general public, except at exorbitant prices for small quantities. Recent improvements in metal separation techniques and wider distribution allow these rare elements to be offered at this price."

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=413&item=6116942430&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V

Solid pieces of Sc,Y and the lanthanide metals (except Pm)!

Only $120.

By restricting the collection to the elements with at least one stable isotope' date=' the number of "collectable" elements are 80 (1 H - 82 Pb, except 43 Tc and 61 Pm).

By regarding 83 Bi as a collectable element, despite its very long half life (2x10^19 y), then there are 81 collectable elements.

[/quote']

Gee, I wish I had said something like that...about 3 months ago...

Have you seen this website?

This guy made his own Collection. So far he has 109 elements.

Once more, I restrict myself to the collectable elements, as defined above.

At present time, I have acquired at least one gram of the solids (69 of 69), all of the liquids (2 of 2), and 6 of the 10 gases (gases in spektral tubes).

Some of the refractory metals are usually offered as some ugly powder (Re,Ir,Os etc). By my own "conditions for my element collection", I do NOT accept powders, sponges, or even sintered material.

I ONLY accept solid pieces of the elements, from melted forms. Once more, many of these can be found on eBay.

And of course, all the collectable polymorphic modifications (if applicable) of the elements, e.g. red and white phosphorus.

Unfortunately, black phosphorus is not commercially available, despite being the only stable modification.

Anyone who have found a supplier of black phosphorus??