OH-CH2-CH2-OH - Death Poison

AtomicMX

Ethylene glycol itself is non toxic. However, it is metabolised by alcohol dehydrogenase, forming glycoaldehyde, glycolate, glycolic acid, and glyoxylate. These four breakdown products are responsible for the tissue destruction (from calcium oxalate crystals) and metabolic toxicity (high anion gap metabolic acidosis, lactic acidosis, and hypocalcemia). Thank you, and good bye.

Isn't that molecule just called ethane-1,2-diol? Or is etilenglycol the nonstandard name? I don't remember anything about it being extremely toxic...

Or:1,2-dihydroxyethane, 1,2-ethanediol, EG, ethane-1,2-diol,

As far as i remmember is the common antifreezer, people say that it tastes sweet...

if i poison a person with coffee (strong flavor) and sugar melted with ethanediol does medics or criminalistics would know about it?...

As far as i remmember is the common antifreezer' date=' people say that it tastes sweet...

if i poison a person with coffee (strong flavor) and sugar melted with ethanediol does medics or criminalistics would know about it?...[/quote']

Yes.

Just buy a cheap piece from your local crackhead and do them in. :P

if i poison a person with coffee (strong flavor) and sugar melted with ethanediol does medics or criminalistics would know about it?...

eh, what are you implying?

the answer is that yes, forensics investigators would be able to find out through qualitative tests:

soluble in H2O, soluble in ethers, does not effect litmus->alcohol

I dont know that but I know that one sip of arsenic can kill you. :P

Wrong on so many levels.

By the way, making arsenic beverage ( :D ) as a part of your regular diet, and as long as the doses remain the same from day to day, eventually you'll build up a tolerance to it.

Any change in quantity(days or amounts) will severely skew the system and screw you, but one can get quite a large amount of arsenic into their body before it'll kill them.

Also, even accumulating a large amounts of arsenic in the body, with proper medical attention, you can recover(well, nearly so).

Any change in quantity(days or amounts) will severely skew the system and screw you, but one can get quite a large amount of arsenic into their body before it'll kill them.

Does that mean a decrease in arsenic will kill you?

On a side note, does anyone know what "Propylene Glycol" is? I keep seeing it listed as an ingredient of shampoo and bathroom products. I have a strange feeling that I'm putting something similar to antifreeze on my head...