How can X-Rays ionize air? (or other molecules)

mahela007

simple, they hit the other molecule. specifically the electrons of said molecule/atom.

the xray photon has sufficient energy to eject the electron from its orbital, much like if i stuck a cattleprod into you you'd jump out of your comfy chair.

this is ionization.

That would be a positive ion right?

The whole problem occurred to me when I was reading about Millikans famous oil drop experiment. I read that he used X-Rays to charge some of the oil drops.. (they way I understood it the oil drops got a negative charge.. ) So how could the X-rays give the oil droplets a negative charge?

i'm not sure, i've done that experiment and x-rays were not used at all. the charge came from friction with the atomizer like how you can charge a plastic rod using a cloth.

i have never actually heard of it being done with x-rays.

That would be a positive ion right?

The whole problem occurred to me when I was reading about Millikans famous oil drop experiment. I read that he used X-Rays to charge some of the oil drops.. (they way I understood it the oil drops got a negative charge.. ) So how could the X-rays give the oil droplets a negative charge?

If you ionized the air, you have liberated electrons. They become attached to the oil drops.

And apparently he did do it this way

http://www.juliantrubin.com/bigten/millikanoildrop.html

http://chem.ch.huji.ac.il/history/millikan.html

sorry to be so persistent .... but how do electrons "stick" to oil?

Like they'd stick to any other molecule — electromagnetically. Molecules can attract extra electrons; some do this better than others.

Just to give you some numbers, a photon in the X-ray domain has an energy typically around 8000 eV, whereas an electron's binding energy can be at most -13.6 eV, level 1s 's energy in hydrogen. So you have plenty of energy to pick it from the atom.

This effect is put to practical use in X-ray gas detectors : they're filled with a neutral gas, typically xenon (which won't oxidize you're device once ionized), at a given pressure. When an X-ray goes through the gas chamber, it ionizes the gas. The released electrons are accelerated by an electric field to a cathode, where they read out as a small current.

McCrunchy

oops, indeed. Somehow I had imagined the electron-electron repulsion would make the ionization potential smaller than that of hydrogen ... but it's true we can almost neglect this repulsion to compute the energy levels [ and why is that again ? drifting from the initial subject ...]