Theory of the earth's inclination

Thank-you Ophiolite so now we are back to square 1 it seems like our dinos could not survive the nuclear winter? & proberly other causes as well but the main eradication the meteorite of 65 million years ago has iradium.. which has been found worldwide anything to do with this extinction of dinosaurs, I don't really know do you? us.2u

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Iridium is comparatively rare on earth and comparatively common in meteorites. In the thin layer of rock that marks the KT boundary there is a high concentration of Iridium. This is what first gave the Agaziz (father and son) the idea of a major impact at the end of the Cretaceous. Researchers began to look for possible sites and two geologists, working for Pemex the Mexican national oil company spotted the Chicxulub site with 3-D seismic.

Edited to correct my abominable spelling of Chicxulub. (Popocatapetl is easier to climb than pronounce!)

Between us all we might've cracked it... "The end of Jurassic life" could this iradium comtaminate the dinosaurs food resources as in poisioning them or wrecking the liklihood of re-germinating thus shortenening the food resources for our dinosaurs?

Between us all we might've cracked it... "The end of Jurassic life" could this iradium comtaminate the dinosaurs food resources as in poisioning them or wrecking the liklihood of re-germinating thus shortenening the food resources for our dinosaurs?
No.

Nice thought.

But iridium is also present below the earths mantle.So volcanic activity on a large scale could also account for this concentration.So a meteorite hit together with volcanic activity would be quite a harsh environment to be living in
And the Deccan trap flood basalts were within 1m.y.+/- of the KT boundary, which is why some authorities (especially those geologists who resent astronomers messing with their speciality with nasty bolides) believe it was them and not the impact that did it.

As noted above it is likely that a combination of circumstances was at work.

Well I believe you're all correct so I see the whole picture something like this...The meteorite impacting in Mexico causing a long nuclear winter volcanic excitement proberly earthquakes as well a most hostile & "uninhabitable enviroment" also I guess our Dinos being reptiles would only feel comfortable in tropical conditions not freak winters I don't think this can be far out & thank you everyone for showing your interest..us.2u