How do you define chemistry?

Bone Daddeo

The extension of physics that deals with ... the study of matter and the changes it undergoes. :D

The more you learn about chemistry, the more the line between physics and chemistry fades away.

chemistry is physics that chemists understand. Physics is chemistry that's been scaled up a bit so physicists can understand it.

According to the Oxford English Dictionary

"...the branch of science concerned with the properties and interactions of the substances of which matter is composed."

As such this has massive overlap with physics (especially condensed matter physics) and biology in the form of molecular biology and biochemistry. So like all sciences, to a large extent chemistry is what chemist do.

Chemistry is what you get when you realise that those lovely equations that the physicists come up with are impossible to solve so you make a few aproximations.

(3 body problem anyone?)

You mean solve using elementary functions?

Otherwise you always have a solution, it is defined by the differential equations you have. This is also different to a numerical solution where you use some numerical algorithm.

Chemistry is what you get when you realise that those lovely equations that the physicists come up with are impossible to solve so you make a few aproximations.

(3 body problem anyone?)

Hehe,

I think you are talking about (chemical) Engineering... not chemistry.

You mean solve using elementary functions?

Otherwise you always have a solution, it is defined by the differential equations you have. This is also different to a numerical solution where you use some numerical algorithm.

I mean so that you actually get the right answer.

Saying that the differential equations are a solution is like saying that, in general,

the solution to f(x) = 0 is easy because it's the value of x that makes f(x) = 0.

That's not a solution, that's a restatement of the question.

Once the relativistic and quantum non determinacy aspect of the 3 body problem are considered, I understand that the problem isn't analytically soluble.

If there's really a solution please let me know where I can find it- just the simple case of a helium nucleus and two electrons would do.

Incidentally I'm not talking about chem. eng.; that's knowing more engineering than a chemist and more chemistry than an engineer without needing to know much about either.

I mean so that you actually get the right answer.

[/Quote]

Not sure exactly what that means. I guess you mean find the solution.

Saying that the differential equations are a solution is like saying that, in general,

the solution to f(x) = 0 is easy because it's the value of x that makes f(x) = 0.

That's not a solution, that's a restatement of the question.

All I mean is that every differential equation has a solution. That is such a function exists that satisfies a given differential equation.

This is not the same statement as finding the solution or presenting it in terms of elementary functions.

Once the relativistic and quantum non determinacy aspect of the 3 body problem are considered, I understand that the problem isn't analytically soluble.

If there's really a solution please let me know where I can find it- just the simple case of a helium nucleus and two electrons would do.

See above. If there was not a solution then the differential equation would be ill posed. Again note, I have said nothing about how to find a solution or even if it can be given in terms of elementary (or known special) functions.

I'm just "nit picking" at your statement about "impossible to solve" and what is really meant by that.