Plain EM question

GutZ

I am close to understand Electromagnetism (in the basic sense)

What i am not getting is the interaction of the field with the force and the interaction with photons.

Let's have a simple ciruit here.

+ ================= -

I know a magnetic field can produce and electric field and vise versa.

So what happens when you connect a battery to the terminals? Is a electric field generated? Electrons rush to the postitive terminal...If it is an electric field generated is it within the wire soley? and if it's in the wire, doesnt that create a magnetic field (perpendicular to the electrical field)?

Then how do photons actually interact? Do photons actually carry the electromagnetic force from the field to the charged particles? Are the particles charged before or after the interaction. Do we know what causes particles to be charged?

I am trying to figure out how even the atom holds the protons and electrons together, there has to be a field presents somewhere...does that mean that there is some field I am in right now? Can I exist without an EM field...does that also mean that you can create other fields with greater intensity, or can you strength a localized portion of this general field?

SORRY lots of questions.

• 3 weeks later...

GutZ; In reply to a comment made on 'To Big to fail', I'll bump your question back to where it's on 'New Post'., There are plenty of folks here that could answer...

As for EM, I have studied a little with regards to visual concepts of effects, that is what and why we see things, in different manners to each other or animals. I like to refer to the photon as a carrier of energy, unable to exist with out something to carry, as in a vacuum or that the photon, released from some reaction and that from the source are not the same.

Go over this explanation, maybe you can pin down your point a bit...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photon

The photon is massless,[Notes 1] has no electric charge,[9] and does not decay spontaneously in empty space. A photon has two possible polarization states and is described by exactly three continuous parameters: the components of its wave vector, which determine its wavelength λ and its direction of propagation. The photon is the gauge boson for electromagnetism,[10] and therefore all other quantum numbers—such as lepton number, baryon number, and flavour quantum numbers are zero.[11]

Photons are emitted in many natural processes. For example, when a charge is accelerated it emits synchrotron radiation. During a molecular, atomic or nuclear transition to a lower energy level, photons of various energy will be emitted, from infrared light to gamma rays. A photon can also be emitted when a particle and its corresponding antiparticle are annihilated (see Electron-positron annihilation for an example).

So what happens when you connect a battery to the terminals? Is a electric field generated? Electrons rush to the postitive terminal...If it is an electric field generated is it within the wire soley? and if it's in the wire, doesnt that create a magnetic field (perpendicular to the electrical field)?

Well, an electric field is an intrinsic property of charged particles like protons and electrons. A magnetic field is usually caused by a moving electric field. Neither fields stay confined to the wire, but yes, the magnetic field would be perpendicular to the electric field, as it is in electromagnetic radiation.

In short, the electric field is to charged particles what gravity is to objects with mass; it's just a field in which these particles can exert a force on another object.

Then how do photons actually interact? Do photons actually carry the electromagnetic force from the field to the charged particles? Are the particles charged before or after the interaction. Do we know what causes particles to be charged?

Photons are just discrete packets of energy. They are best described as point-like particles that carry energy. That is all. So, when energy given off or absorbed, or exchanged, a photon is involved in the transmission of that energy. For example, if an electron goes to a state of lower energy, it gives off a photon. Photons do not affect charge at all, as they themselves have no charge.

I am trying to figure out how even the atom holds the protons and electrons together, there has to be a field presents somewhere...does that mean that there is some field I am in right now? Can I exist without an EM field...does that also mean that you can create other fields with greater intensity, or can you strength a localized portion of this general field?

SORRY lots of questions.

The nucleus is held together by the Strong Force, which is much, much stronger than the electromagnetic force. That is why protons are very close together, despite the fact that they all have the same charge.

Yes, you create a magnetic field — that's how an electromagnet works.

I am close to understand Electromagnetism (in the basic sense)

What i am not getting is the interaction of the field with the force and the interaction with photons.

Let's have a simple ciruit here.

+ ================= -

SORRY lots of questions.

-----------------------------------------------

It is quite simple.Stay with Maxwell and forget QM

When you connect a wire to a battery electrons will rush into the wire or into the battery depending on the initial potentials. The corrent that foltows the connection will be an exponential or oscillating one, depending on the connected Load. A simple wire without load is a load also with ll, C,R, The resulting current wil create a circular magnetic field around your wire that will propagate into space together with with the electric field as a short living E.M. wave.

Owing to Maxwell a small E;M wave will propagate into space, dying out with distance. The photons your are thinking about, are useless fictions .

Morp