PyroChemistry

Tian_07

Yes, I know about the Sigma-Aldrich group. My dad (being a psychiatrist and all that) told me about it, but I don't think they ship personally, only to registered companies. :<

Edit: By the way, to those interested in element collecting, if you have access to Sigma-Aldrich, they have a huge selection of high purity metals.

in america, this company has a NICE selection, cesium, rubidium, potassium, mercury, gallium...etc...and all the compounds... http://www.espimetals.com no pricing on the site, but by email they'll quote you, the biggest ampoule is a 50 gram for most metals, thats a pre-scored ampoule, the biggest break-seal is a 5 gram. which for cesium would probably be close to 700 dollars. heh.

Guest maxgoethals

Hello,

I am Max and am new to this forum. During my flashy browsing over 'chemistry' i was pleased to see that there were many relevant information that I could get out from the forum, and I also found a link to a msn group where they talked about General Chemistry homework. I was wondering if anyone knew about one such for Organic Chemistry or could we get started and build a new one?

Also how do we post new threads? tried loookinng...could'nt find...may be i was just too rushfull.

Cheers

Max

max, you should direct that question to blike, the owner of the site. to start a new thread, pick a category from the main page, and then at the top left in a given subject there will be a button that says post thread, or something like that...

back to cesium...yes, this is true YT, however, could you develop an explosive that would be capable of being dropped into a river and then exploding, and not only deflagrating itself, but also exploding(i'd use detonate, but hydrogen doesnt really detonate) the hydrogen that was given off in the innitial reaction?

"the biggest break-seal is a 5 gram. which for cesium would probably be close to 700 dollars."

Even though cesium isn't listed in the international trading values (such as for example gold and other precious metals are), I think in 2003 1g of >99.9% cesium in an ampoule was roughly 50 dollars a piece. So if you find cesium for a lower price, you might even want to invest in it.

And Aspirin, I'd use 50 lead balls. That's probably the most common amount (if they're near 1cm in diameter).

jdurg, check this out http://www.element-collection.com/

also, i dont know about europe, but here in america, it costs like...20 bucks to register a business.

also, gilded, where did you find a 1g ampoule for 50 bucks of cesium? the cheapest i've found is 110 dollars for 99.999% pure. 1g. unless you buy in bulk, in chick case over 12g would cost you 94 dollars a gram.

jdurg' date=' check this out http://www.element-collection.com/

also, i dont know about europe, but here in america, it costs like...20 bucks to register a business.

also, gilded, where did you find a 1g ampoule for 50 bucks of cesium? the cheapest i've found is 110 dollars for 99.999% pure. 1g. unless you buy in bulk, in chick case over 12g would cost you 94 dollars a gram.[/quote']

That's the site run by Max Whitby who's a good friend of Theodore Gray. Theo has an entire website dedicated to his element collection, and he and Max work together selling displays to schools and universities that would like them. I bought my noble gasses and beryllium from Max. Very nice samples. He's a great source if you're over in the UK, but if you wanted some alkali metals or halogens, the hazmat charges for cross-atlantic shipping is insane, and his prices are a bit elevated. Over here in the US, Dave Hamric has the best business I've seen set up. You can check it out over at www.elementsales.com. :D

Yes, the RGB element collection is indeed very nice; every element from hydrogen to uranium (1-92). I was devastated when I heard that they don't ship the basic set outside UK anymore; only the deluxe one. £1200 is a little bit too much for me. :<

Now then, should we perhaps discuss some pyrotechnics for a change? :)

could you develop an explosive that would be capable of being dropped into a river and then exploding, and not only deflagrating itself, but also exploding(i'd use detonate, but hydrogen doesnt really detonate)
Of course, and no it wouldn`t just burn fast and create a mechanical eplosion, it would Detonate Properly, 6500 m/s or V.O.D six and a half killometers per second if you prefer :))

Synthesizing high explosives by yourself: Not recommended. Though they are usually rather safe (needing the blasting cap for detonation and all that), the making process is the one where you can get yourself blasted to pieces, depending on the explosive of course.

Synthesizing high explosives by yourself: Not recommended. Though they are usually rather safe (needing the blasting cap for detonation and all that), the making process is the one where you can get yourself blasted to pieces, depending on the explosive of course.

Though the exceptions would be nitroglycerine and the nitrogen trihalides. (NI3, NBr3, NCl3). Those high explosives will go off if you fart. heh.