Nitrifying Bacteria

Mossydie

Accoring to my GCSE Biology textbook, Nitrifying bateria convert ammonia from the decayed remains of animals and plants into nitrates.

I was wondering - how is this an efficient process for them? It must take up a large amount of energy, what do they get out of it?

Or is this a case of crass oversimplifying at GCSE level?

these nitrifying bacteria do not simply waste their energy by continuously converting atmospheric nitrogen or ammonia in the soil into Nitrates. they actually utilize the nitrogen, NH3, and other inorganic compounds for the life processes taking place in their bodies. the actually derive energy by this process. The resultant Nitrates and Nitrates; which to us; humans are useful; are mainly the Waste products secreted from their bodies...

They don't get anything out of this process. But these processes are part of the life processes required for their metabolism.

Nitrogen fixing bacteria which are most important are the Cyanobacteria. These may be solitary, colonial or terrestrial. They have specialized cells in their colonies called Heterocysts. these cells have the required pigments for this process.

I have tried my best to explain.

For anymore help, please mail me.:)

They don't get anything out of this process.

Huh? They use either ammonia or nitrite as electron donors. You know, to generate energy in the electron transfer chain.

Nitrogen fixing bacteria which

Nitrification has nothing to do with nitrogen fixation.