My Favorite Bacteria

:rolleyes:

Then take your pick among Staphylococcus, Listeria, Streptococcus...

and in any case, you have not answered my question.

Well and besides M. tuberculosis does have a persistent anaerobic state.

Your guess was right. I took a microbiology class last spring, and there was emphasis on dangers of LPS [the chief endotoxin of gram-negative pathogens]. So that is why I prefer gram-positive -- or even gram-neutral -- over gram-negative.

Have you asked your teacher what would happen if you smear yourself with a culture of harmless bacteria? Or breathe them in as aerosol (your air comment)?

I didn't ask. But I can easily guess. I actually did an experiment on myself.

At the end of the quarter when my course was finished, I took a sample of the bacteria [brevibacterium linens] and put it in a glass of cranberry juice at room temperature. I waited for 2 weeks, the juice became greenish. I then refrigerated it for another week. I then drank all of it. Tasted nice. I didn't get sick at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brevibacterium_linens

Brevibacterium linens is ubiquitously present on the human skin, where it causes foot odor. The same bacterium is also employed to ferment several cheeses such as Limburger and Port-du-Salut.

You're lucky that is not one of the ones with toxic byproducts. Seems lots of people have eaten this particular bacterium. I do hope you at least looked it up before going ahead and drinking it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brevibacterium_linens

Brevibacterium linens is ubiquitously present on the human skin, where it causes foot odor. The same bacterium is also employed to ferment several cheeses such as Limburger and Port-du-Salut.

You're lucky that is not one of the ones with toxic byproducts. Seems lots of people have eaten this particular bacterium. I do hope you at least looked it up before going ahead and drinking it.

Yeah, I learned in the microbiology class that it is present in Swiss cheese and hence wouldn't hurt to drink it.

If you did that, which I doubt, it was probably one of the more stupid things I heard for a while. If anything grew, how would you know that it was a pure culture and not something else completely?

This thread is exceptionally weird :D

Are you planning on making your own body a one microbe zone? I wonder how long you would survive for if you did?

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
Yeah, I learned in the microbiology class that it is present in Swiss cheese and hence wouldn't hurt to drink it.

Are the bacteria actually present in the cheese at the time of consumption of have they been removed?

Are you planning on making your own body a one microbe zone?

Not one microbe. There are many bacteria which fit the profile of being "my favorite"

Are the bacteria actually present in the cheese at the time of consumption of have they been removed?

The bacteria definitely are present in the cheese when eaten.

Killing the bacteria would at best ruin the flavor of the cheese. At worst, it would involve the use of toxic bactericides which can harm humans badly -- if not kill us.