Can anyone validate my explanation of cellular respiration

Sconesnatcher

I'm gonna have this question on a test. I wrote out the glycolysis part just there can anyone tell me if its a good explanation or not

Cellular respiration is the set of metabolic pathways in which the cell produces ATP from the breakdown of glucose. Cellular respiration is composed of 3 main parts.

1.)Glycolysis

2.)Krebs Cycle

3.)Electron Transport Chain

GLYCOLYSIS:

The first step in cellular respiration is the breakdown of glucose. This process is called glycolysis. Glycolysis takes place in the cytoplasm. Glycolysis itself consists of 10 metabolic reactions but these reactions can be categorized into 2 stages.

1.)Energy Investment Stage

2.)Energy Yielding Stage

ENERGY INVESTMENT STAGE:

Since glucose is a very stable molecule it must be destabilized before it can be broken down. This is achieved by attaching 2 phosphate groups to the molecule. Since these phosphate groups are both negatively charged they will repel each other and destabilize the molecule. The phosphate groups are donated by ATP therefore 2 ATP molecules are used in the process. The molecule then splits into two molecules of glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate.

ENERGY YIELDING STAGE:

The two glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate molecules are then dehydrogenated and lose 2 hydrogen atoms. These hydrogen ions then attach to 2 NAD+ (Nicotinamide Adenine Dinucleotide) to form NADH. These NADH molecules are then sent into the mitochondrion where they will used later in the electron transport chain stage.

The glyceraldehyde molecules are then phosphorylated again to form 1,3-biphosphoglycerate. The 1,3-biphosphoglycerate molecules are then converted into pyruvate molecules and the energy released in the process is utilized to attach the detached phosphate groups onto ADP yielding ATP. Since 2 ATP molecules were used initially the net yield of ATP is 4 molecules.

• 1 month later...

I'm gonna have this question on a test. I wrote out the glycolysis part just there can anyone tell me if its a good explanation or not

Cellular respiration is the set of metabolic pathways in which the cell produces ATP from the breakdown of glucose. Cellular respiration is composed of 3 main parts.

1.)Glycolysis

2.)Krebs Cycle

3.)Electron Transport Chain

GLYCOLYSIS:

The first step in cellular respiration is the breakdown of glucose. This process is called glycolysis. Glycolysis takes place in the cytoplasm. Glycolysis itself consists of 10 metabolic reactions but these reactions can be categorized into 2 stages.

1.)Energy Investment Stage

2.)Energy Yielding Stage

ENERGY INVESTMENT STAGE:

Since glucose is a very stable molecule it must be destabilized before it can be broken down. This is achieved by attaching 2 phosphate groups to the molecule. Since these phosphate groups are both negatively charged they will repel each other and destabilize the molecule. The phosphate groups are donated by ATP therefore 2 ATP molecules are used in the process. The molecule then splits into two molecules of glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate.

ENERGY YIELDING STAGE:

The two glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate molecules are then dehydrogenated and lose 2 hydrogen atoms. These hydrogen ions then attach to 2 NAD+ (Nicotinamide Adenine Dinucleotide) to form NADH. These NADH molecules are then sent into the mitochondrion where they will used later in the electron transport chain stage.

The glyceraldehyde molecules are then phosphorylated again to form 1,3-biphosphoglycerate. The 1,3-biphosphoglycerate molecules are then converted into pyruvate molecules and the energy released in the process is utilized to attach the detached phosphate groups onto ADP yielding ATP. Since 2 ATP molecules were used initially the net yield of ATP is 4 molecules.

Some comments after a quick glance over the post:

-Cellular respiration is not limited to glucose or sugars in general. It is the general term utilize biochemical energy in any form (be it fatty acids, sugars, etc.). In other words you refer specifically to the aerobic respiration of glucose.

-instead of destabilizing biochemists more commonly refer to it as activating the sugar

I would still add the enzymes catalyzing the reaction (but that may be me)

-NADH is not sent anywhere it is also not exclusively used in the electron transport chain. It more or less floats around until grabbed by an enzyme that needs it.

-one should not really imagine the transfer of the phosphate group as a detachment and reattachment, but rather as a transfer via an enzyme.

-highlight the endproduct of glycolyisis (pyruvate) as it is essential for the subsequent steps