plant enzymes

I have trouble with acid reflux ( which is not about , to much stomach acid , as it is about to little )

so I have , for the last , 2-3 months been taking plant enzymes

they seem to work , along with probiotics

my question is ;

do they break down , plack , or any build up along arterial walls as well ?

As enzymes are all proteins, it is not likely that much of the enzymes are escaping from your digestive system and getting into your circulatory system. Most proteins are denatured by the very low pH in the stomach, and digested into small peptides and amino acids in the intestine. Unless your enzymes are formulated in vegetable oil, there is probably not much to worry about. In fact, I would wonder if it is possible that they have any effect at all.

What enzymes are you taking?

Indeed, I can't really think of any enzyme that would be stable unless it is some sort of acidophilic enzyme, but I would still be catalysed by pepsin and most likely partially denature within the saliva.

How does acid reflux occur from a lack of acid anyway, I looked on google and the only answer I could come up with didn't really make any sense or have anything to do with acid, just that food sits around and rots.

i have acid reflux too, i just have some little acid reducer pills that seem to work just fine,you can get them at wall mart or maybe even a corner store. tums help too.

How does acid reflux occur from a lack of acid anyway, I looked on google and the only answer I could come up with didn't really make any sense or have anything to do with acid, just that food sits around and rots.

because of the lack of acid to take care of it.

As enzymes are all proteins, it is not likely that much of the enzymes are escaping from your digestive system and getting into your circulatory system. Most proteins are denatured by the very low pH in the stomach, and digested into small peptides and amino acids in the intestine. Unless your enzymes are formulated in vegetable oil, there is probably not much to worry about. In fact, I would wonder if it is possible that they have any effect at all.

Organika , full spectrum plant enzymes ( vegetarian capsules )

bar code # 620365024123

Organika , full spectrum plant enzymes ( vegetarian capsules )

bar code # 620365024123

It might work, depends what pH the is optimum for the enzyme and what the specific activity is, which I doubt is very high at all, not to mention the enzymes would just get hydrolyse by pepsin but if they are in a large excess it might have a small effect.

Ironically is they are supposed to be acidophilic enzymes and you have low stomach acid then surely they wouldn't be in the optimal pH range anyway.

Curious. I was wondering what sort of enzymes would help with mammalian digestion, as plants generally do not digest the same sorts of food that we do. ;) Looking at the Organika website, I see that the contents are actually:

Veg-panzyme, from Aspergillus Oryzae and Candida cylindracea - 286 mg

Providing Vegetarian Pancreatin: Protease 28,600 FCC unit (HUT)

Amylase 28,600 FCC unit (DU)

Lipase 2,200 FCC unit (FIP)

To Digest Proteins

Protase (acid stable), from Aspergillus oryzae 785 FCC unit (SAPU) 12 mg

So, the enzymes do not actually come from plants, but from fungi. Aspergillus Oryzae is the filamentous fungus used to ferment soy sauce, while Candida cylindracea is a yeast.

Personally, I would not be interested in putting a lot of fungal enzymes into my stomach. If your problem is really insufficient stomach acid, I would think that simply including more acid in your diet would help more, e.g., use more vinegar in your salad dressing, drink more Coke (or Pepsi), eat more citrus fruit and sour foods. Seems a lot more "natural" to me than enzyme supplements.

The other thing I found interesting on the Organika website was the caution regarding this product:

Cautions

Do not use if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.

I'm assuming this does not apply to you, but you have to wonder why it could be a problem...

In addition a number of enzymes have pH optima near the neutral range. Given the relatively short time that food stays in the stomach it is rather unlikely that they will help much with digestion. And seriously, cellulases? That is kind of absurd.

In addition a number of enzymes have pH optima near the neutral range. Given the relatively short time that food stays in the stomach it is rather unlikely that they will help much with digestion. And seriously, cellulases? That is kind of absurd.

Cellulases to break down fiber: so, if they worked, you would presumably release more carbohydrates from your food (= more calories, but no more nutrition), while effective reducing or eliminating (no pun intended) fiber from the rest of the digestive system. Not something I would want to do...

• 2 weeks later...
so what would be a more natural way of compensating for my lack of stomach acid ? other than what I'm doing

I would start with a visit to the doctor, if you haven't already.

If you actually have insufficient stomach acid, your condition may be hypochlorhydria. The possible causes are serious enough that you should be talking to a doctor, and not trying to self-medicate.

I'm not sure how you get from acid reflux to insufficient stomach acid, but a trip to the doctor is in order. Even if your goal is to avoid taking an "unnatural" drug, you should first find out what the underlying problem is. Some doctors today will happily prescribe more "natural" remedies, including dietary changes.