Chicken bad for open wounds

DavidM

Okay, I'll laugh if I'm wrong about this, but that's one of the silliest things I've heard in quite some time.

When handling RAW chicken, one should carefully wash their hands and clean the work surface when done, especially if they have an open wound. However, avoiding the ingestion of fully cooked chicken because you have a paper cut is utterly and completely ridiculous.

Nope.

Been cooking for 15 years, I even got raw chicken inside my cuts..that was probably dangerous, but if you cook the bird first, and insert it through your mouth, no harm shall come to you

unless it's got something weird, that's a whole different discussion

The OP is probably referring to open wounds in the mouth like canker sores. If that's the case, check out:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000998.htm#Complications

In short, it states,

"Rarely, bacterial infections such as cellulitis and Ludwig's angina may occur."

From that, I guess you can get an infection, but it's rare and may not necessarily come from chicken. Common sense tells me you should avoid undercooked meat and practice good oral hygiene, but that's wise thing to do in general anyway.

And don't take my comments as expert or medical advice. I'm as unfamiliar with the condition as most of everyone else.

Edited by mrburns2012

Ludwig's Angina? that sounds pretty severe...

That's true, if you have open mouth sores, it's not only chicken you should watch out for though, pretty much any food that hasn't been cleaned or prepared safely can give you something unsanitary