Eliminating bacteria, viruses, microbes for drinking water...

Externet

Hello.

Application of electrical current for just a second from an electrode in a metal pot should destroy most if not all life in its water instantaneously.

Why is such procedure not exploited ? At least I do not know of it being used to disinfect water :confused: Or is it ?

The typical action is to boil the water; with huge amount of power used.

Edited by Externet

Hello John.

I came across a related document that may get similar effects if the poor quality fresh water has some dissolved minerals or a pinch of table salt added; or increasing current or time :

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=154785

Mokele:

Yes, no doubt filtering works, not questioning that. But I have a problem with filters in general; as they capture all the undesirable nasty microbes piling them up putrefacting on a layer against the filter wall.

And the next day the water to be filtered is forced to pass through it. :-( ---Yes, change the filter after every use - :confused:

Miguel

some of these contaminants are so tiny that a good zap of electricity would do little more than just spin them around so they all face the same direction for a short while rather than Kill them.

UV irradiation is another good method though.