HHO Generator (Science Fair)

OutThere

Hi, I'm trying to make a H2 generator for *part* of a science fair project. I've got 6 Stainless Steel outlet covers from Lowes (I don't know what grade, I've heard that 316 is the best) that I have wired up. I alternate positive and negative plates. (no neutral) I'm using distilled water with some sea salt as an electrolyte. (I don't know if sea salt is any different than table salt for this experiment, the only difference should be the presence of iodine...?) I've also got a boat/RV battery charger that is putting out 12 VDC and 12 Amps. (I've noticed the amps go up if I use more salt, I'm not purposefully putting in more, but should I try to put in less?)

Here is my question:

A thick brown sludge forms at the top of my container, and not much hydrogen is made, compared to what I have seen online. This video has an excellent example of the sludge I get, start at about 6:30 when it is turned on. (

) As noted in the video, my experiment results say that the sludge DOES seemingly cause less hydrogen to be made and the sludge IS very conductive and short circuits my cell.

Bottom Line: What is this sludge and how can I keep it from forming?

Also, I have access to Sodium Hydroxide (pure) and also could use Iodized Salt or Baking Soda. In fact, I'm desperate enough to try ANY reasonable electrolyte to get rid of the sludge. :doh: (if the electrolyte is the problem)

Finally, I've chosen electrolysis to make the H2, but I've also read of chemechal reactions to make it, like out of sodium hydroxide and aluminum foil. I've never read much from people who have tried this, would this be a good (safe-ish) alternative?

1/ don't call it HHO, HHO doesn't exist and is some crackpots idiotic scam to make money. you are electrolysing water to get hydrogen and oxygen.

2/ use distilled water and sodium hydroxide for the electrolyte, using sea salt or table salt will produce chlorine which is bad and will likely corrode your electrodes forming the sludge.

3/ if you see any site/video/whatever mentioning magnecules steer clear of it, it isn't scientific and it is wrong.

sorry, HHO was out of habit (you will notice I changed "HHO" to "H2" in the orriginal post before I posted it, i guess I forgot about the title.)

Ok, thanks. I knew about the chlorine gas and that the salt COULD be the cause of the brown sludge, but I'd heard several things (do you have neutral plates....etc...etc...) that confilict. I'll be trying it later today and will repost with any results. (if there are any other ideas, please post!! :D)

Finally, I've chosen electrolysis to make the H2, but I've also read of chemechal reactions to make it, like out of sodium hydroxide and aluminum foil. I've never read much from people who have tried this, would this be a good (safe-ish) alternative?

The reaction is extremely exothermic (readily proceeds beyond the point where you can touch the reaction vessel) and produces a nice mist of lye solution along with the gas. :P Eventually, the steam being produced by the hot liquid thins the hydrogen out quite a bit. It does work well for the first few minutes though...and then you're left with caustic [math] Al_2(OH)_3 [/math] sludge to get rid of.

Chlorides (and the other halides) do a good job of corroding stainless steel. Sodium carbonate (washing soda) would be a better choice. Magnesium sulphate would be better still- it's not so corrosive to skin.

The reaction of NaOH and Al certainly gives H2 but, as UC points out, it's not nice stuff to work with.

Sorry, I see that I wrote the formula for aluminum hydroxide wrong. I guess I was thinking of aluminum oxide at the time ([math] Al_2O_3[/math]). It should be [math] Al(OH)_3 [/math]

Sulfuric acid is a good choice of electrolyte. Keep any halides, which readily corrode stainless steel, out of the reaction mix.

Sea salt is identical to kosher salt or uniodized table salt. Sodium chloride is the only significant component.

Sorry, I see that I wrote the formula for aluminum hydroxide wrong. I guess I was thinking of aluminum oxide at the time ([math] Al_2O_3[/math]). It should be [math] Al(OH)_3 [/math]

Sulfuric acid is a good choice of electrolyte. Keep any halides, which readily corrode stainless steel, out of the reaction mix.

Sea salt is identical to kosher salt or uniodized table salt. Sodium chloride is the only significant component.

I am not sure what is considered to be insignificant. Sea salt can be composed up to 15% or more of substances other than NaCl. Most of it is magnesium chloride but there are also sulfates, calcium chloride, and potassium chloride in amounts above 1%. (The only reason I know this is from learning about nigari extraction from seawater for making tofu). I would imagine for most things that would be good enouogh but if you are looking for a particular NaCl reaction sea salt may not be the best choice (besides its more expensive anyway).