Google is your friend.

Royston

Not sure if any of you have seen this, but for any questions that prompt a 'for goodness sake, Google it', here's the solution for anyone who raises such a question...

For example...

Hey everyone, so what is dark matter ?

http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=what+is+dark+matter+%3F

I hope a wiki version will be available soon.

I tell my students "google is your friend" ALL the time.

I'm not sure if I picked it up here or introduced it, but i've always believed it.

I also tell them (politely) to stop being so stupid about wikipedia. If there's no good reason for someone to falsify information, it's trustworthy, and even if there is a good reason there are people checking it all the time.

Weirdly, I think we should encourage people to ask questions in forums/fora like these and many others.

"Just Googleing it" is a cheap option. It's cheating in a pub quiz. All of the fun and education is in the conversation, that's why you get five or six blokes at my local pub figuring out crosswords between them of an evening. The standard line-up is a bookseller, a banker, a joiner, a chef, a barman or two and several disreputables who have never admitted to a real job but have money for beer and know what a homonym is when they see one.

That's the beauty, you get some chat and learn how reliable your sources are. We used to call it "making friends" or "reputation" if you're an academic. It's lovely.

Don't get me wrong, the folks who write the Internet are lovely, but they've never bought me a pint.