Cute 25-yr-old girl compares her PC with a 25-yr-old Mac

Pangloss

I remember my best friend had that Mac. He had a special backpack he could carry it around in. He also knew EVERYTHING there was to know about that computer since he had every program that would run on it and knew them inside and out. It was pretty amazing at the time.

it wasn't long before there was more than one person could keep up with, and he was forced to specialize more and more.

I could never imagine having to constantly switch disks like that.

When I was a kid we had a Mac - now I am going to have nightmares about that disk drive sound! :eek: It had so little memory it could not load everything it needed off one disk and then just ask for a second after... the system disk would prep and ask for data off the other disk, you'd swap, it'd load it, then it would need the system disk for more and that would need more data off the second so you'd swap...

It did generally hit that equilibrium where you rarely had to swap, but only after a lot during the OS start up or starting up a program. It was tedious.

It was a godsend when we finally got an external disk drive... but it is pretty amazing what they could do at the time.

You've obviously never been the guru everyone relies on for answers. Being worshiped can be more fun than fun.

Oh I know the feeling, but that certainly doesn't mean that I know everything about that given subject. There's always more to learn. For people to depend on you, all you have to know is all they know, plus what they want to know. That, at least in my experience, rarely means knowing everything :D

I should have been born 40 years ago...

I was born 70 years ago (on March 19) and I can tell you that watching the evolution of computers has been quite interesting. I entered college in that Sputnik year of 1957, and not a single course I took in science, history, mathematics or philosophy ever mentioned or discussed the significance of that beeping ball in space, or of computers.

The evolution and meaning of computers is so huge and happening so fast that I don't think we understand yet what's going on—an aggravated case of the Sputnik malaise. Thus I hold open the possibility that humans are here to serve the needs of computers and make them better and better as that ultra-species of life evolves before eyes. We may have been invaded by digital aliens and we don't even know it yet.

Edited by scrappy

I should have been born 40 years ago...

Dang. So should I. 40 is close to ideal: old enough to have learned a lot academically and practically, nor so old that having a quick mind is a pleasant memory.

I remember having a beige toaster on my desk. Pleasant memories ...