Standing square wave in water

alan2here

One can (relatively) simply and cheeply synthesise standing waves in water. Presumably thease can nest\stack to create standing (non moving) waves on waves. As there are series of sin waves of varying frequancies and amplitudes which when added together result in square waves can a standing shaped (such as square) wave be made in water?

One can (relatively) simply and cheeply synthesise standing waves in water. Presumably thease can nest\stack to create standing (non moving) waves on waves. As there are series of sin waves of varying frequancies and amplitudes which when added together result in square waves can a standing shaped (such as square) wave be made in water?

Yes, there is, since all periodic functions can be represented this way. You should be able to get a reasonable approximation with just three frequencies.

http://www.designsoftware.com/fourier/FourierFourier_series.htm

Thank you, and I think 3 is insuficent as it is still too rounded looking. A good spectrum analyzer such as the one with adobe audition could calcluate the harmonics for any shape.

However the evidence that this is not possible is that nobody has yet done it with water and we don't yet have the stargate style block of water excecutive toy.

Don't let this thread die :¬P I think it should be done.

TY for the links.

Does anyone have a speaker (I don't) thats not a laptop or headphone speaker. Of the 5 speakers I have none are going to be any good.

A plastic (or something less flexable?) container could store the water.

It seems logical that the frequency you need for a standing wave is an integer 1/n fraction of the length of the container. I have goldwave and can probbably create a wave file for simple functions and combinations.

I've once done something similar with water using crude mechanical vibrator and have been wanting to do something more with it ever since. I guess now would be a good time : ) I'll keep reading your updates on this, I'll add more if I end up doing something about it.