Books

Sin

I need to know some decent books/authors for the following topics:

1. Astronomy and Cosmology Phsics

2. Modern and Theoretical Physics

3. Relativity

4. And...why not, maybe one about Genetics.

I would really appreciate some books, or some famous Science authors to look for. I prefer to read books than to connect various information across the internet.

Make sure they are not advanced books, im new to Physics.

I liked Kip Thorne. He did a book called "Blackholes and Time Warps: Einstein's Outrageous Legacy." It taught me quite a lot, but it's pretty old now.

Richard Feynman did a book "Six Easy Pieces" that I liked, and another called "Six Not So Easy Pieces" that was also good.

A member here at SFN (and a friend), Martin, recommends this new one called "Lightness of Being," and I've not yet read it, but it's at the top of my "next to purchase" list:

http://www.amazon.com/Lightness-Being-Ether-Unification-Forces/dp/0465003214/

You might also enjoy the Selfish Gene by Dawkins, or even Unweaving the Rainbow.

Edited by iNow

Depending on your knowledge to date, I would suggest something with a title like "fundamentals of physics" and that is aimed at beginning university students. It should be accessible to anyone who has a good grasp of "high school physics".

The only one I can recommend (as I have used it) is Fundamentals of Physics by David Halliday, Robert Resnick, and Jearl Walker.