anyone see the Emotiv controller yet?

padren

I didn't find anything on the forums via search, so I'll post it - it's worth checking out for sure:

http://www.emotiv.com/

The "demo" videos are pretty interesting - it basically reads brainwave patterns to identify facial expressions, emotions, and even more complex things like detecting hand motion via the sensors over the user's head.

They say they'll sell units for about $300 each, which is pretty cheap considering the technology. I wonder what Moore's law can do with this over the next few years.

What are all your thoughts?

If this really works, it will be interesting. I think it will certainly open up new doors...for example, I won't be the least bit surprised when (not if) some people start researching what happens when you plug a person who is being...influenced...by a chemical into that game they're describing :o) And virtual voodoo dolls will never be the same...

Cheers,

Gabe

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if you could put it on your dog's head and get anything out of the output...

You'd probably need adjust it a bunch, but I wonder if it could be used for non-intrusive animal research, maybe even help vets find out where an animal feels pain, or if they are in chronic pain at the moment and such.

• 1 month later...

That is so totally sweet. I'm with Shadow, I definitely have to buy that when it comes out, if only just to play with it!

Plus if we encourage the research enough, the xbox..uh...720... will have one of those as a controller. And that would be sweet!

To think I'm actually going to be alive when the first commercial mind controlled toy (that I know of) comes out...it's just to big to imagine :D Although I do wish they'd make a version where 3D motion would be possible, I don't think it would be that complicated...

• 2 months later...