Obama thought HIS name was inconvenient?

john5746

But the name doesn't exercise any trauma. And in a truly tolerant society, there would be no uncivil consequence. The child abuse will come from those that do not practice tolerance and those who do not critically think and therefore not realize his name was given to him, to all of us, in fact.

Do you not think that the parents have been reckless as to the abuse that their children will receive?

But the name doesn't exercise any trauma. And in a truly tolerant society, there would be no uncivil consequence. The child abuse will come from those that do not practice tolerance and those who do not critically think and therefore not realize his name was given to him, to all of us, in fact.

in a perfect society this would be true, unfortunately we do not live in a perfect society.

Do you not think that the parents have been reckless as to the abuse that their children will receive?

Doesn't the opposition to homosexual parental adoption make the same kind of argument? It's not fair to disparage the parents for abuse when the abuse is actually a downstream consequence delivered by an intolerant society - not the parents.

That's not to say there isn't something to be said for reasonably predicting society's unfair, intolerant reaction and avoiding potential problems for the kiddo, and you're right, reckless is a word I'd probably use and I'd give them an earful if they would listen. Just like naming my kid "dickhead" would be an outright torturous thing to do.

I just wanted to be sure we're not letting society off the hook here since ultimately, it's their fault that this is a problem.

in a perfect society this would be true, unfortunately we do not live in a perfect society.

And I realize that. It's just that we should assign the charge of abuse to the source. And his parents are idiots, and selfish, no doubt.

There's a reason why my kids aren't named Beatle and Zeppelin.

Edited by ParanoiA
multiple post merged

I think a good lawyer could make a case that such names amount to child abuse, possibly even assault. Social services should petition the local juvenile court to have a guardian ad litem appointed for these kids whom should then exercise their responsibilities under the law to protect the best interests of these children.

Doesn't the opposition to homosexual parental adoption make the same kind of argument? It's not fair to disparage the parents for abuse when the abuse is actually a downstream consequence delivered by an intolerant society - not the parents.

Only if the parents deliberately make themselves gay.