Testing

macscigirl

Alright, so I have finals coming up and for some reason I get really really REALLY stressed out when I take chemistry tests. :doh: Just chemistry. I used to do this with all of my tests but I learned that I just needed to breath and be confident that I'm a very smart person. My question is, is there something that would make me feel less anxious on my test thus making it easier to get high scores? Maybe there is a real good chemistry site I could go to that would help me with my studying? Or maybe some method of prepping myself right before the exam? Thanks for you help guys!

Alright, so I have finals coming up and for some reason I get really really REALLY stressed out when I take chemistry tests. :doh: Just chemistry.

I think we've all felt this at least once or on some particular topic. When I took Chinese, I would dread the oral part. I could read, speak, write and memorize the crap out of Mandarin, but when it came to listening, I may as well have been deaf. It made me so angry, too, since being able to understand the spoken language is so important when studying a language. Either way, you're neither the first, nor will you be the last to have one particular topic which causes you anxiety and difficulty.

I used to do this with all of my tests but I learned that I just needed to breath and be confident that I'm a very smart person.

This is very good advise to yourself. SO much of this is a confidence in your own abilities. In psychology, it's called "self-efficacy." It is a belief in ones own ability to accomplish something. Having a high self-efficacy is a wonderful tool in doing just about anything well. If you go in thinking you will fail, then you'll more likely experience the other dreaded concept in psychology... the "self-fulfilling prophecy." It's amazing... if you don't think you can do well, chances increase significantly that you won't. So... Just believe in yourself. It's not enough to get the job done, but it forms a solid foundation.

Also, watch out for overconfidence. It's a fine line between "believing in yourself" and being "overconfident" and not preparing well enough. Some anxiety/arousal is good, because it motivates you, but keep it in check, because too much will decrease performance.

I always liked this curve to describe the effect:

Human_Performance_Curve.gif

My question is, is there something that would make me feel less anxious on my test thus making it easier to get high scores?

There's not one magic pill, nor silver bullet, since different things work for different people. However, there are a few things you can do that are pretty universal.

First, keep up with the material. If you know you struggle with something, then spend extra time with it. Work at it every day. Go to every class, and do all of the homework IMMEDIATLY, and visit the instructor or TA to clarify things you don't understand. Don't be embarrassed to not know something, be embarrassed only if you don't take active steps to resolve confusions. Either way, keep up with the material, and practice it after you've learned it. That way, when the test comes, you're comfortable and cozy with everything being covered.

Along similar lines, don't cram. It doesn't work, and tends to stress you out even more. Make "studying" a lifestyle, not a chore. It truly helps, and you'll have the added benefit of retaining that knowledge longer.

Another is, if you have the opportunity to do so, study in the same room where the test will be. It's called "context dependent memory." Basically, it will be easier to remember things because when you studied you associated parts of your surroundings with that environment. If you're taking a test underwater, then study underwater, too.

If you have friends who are taking the same class, setup times to study with them. When you get together, have a plan. Don't use the time socialize, that's not what you're there for. You can talk about personal/social stuff after the test is handed in. But, studying together can help because they may have questions you've never thought of yourself. Also, if they ask a question and you know the answer, it will help you to learn it better by trying to explain it to them. Last, if you don't understand something and they do, they may be able to put it into terms which help you get that "aha" moment. It's mutually beneficial, so long as you remain focussed and don't screw around talking about boys or something.

If you do all of that, then there truly is no reason to be anxious. You've given yourself every opportunity to be successful. You may not know it all, but you've worked hard, and you've given yourself to the cause, so then it's just time to go in and do it. Give it your all. You may not get the grade you want, but you'll have done your best.

Finally, sleep as much as you can before the test... that whole week. Sleep consolidates memory and helps you think more clearly. This is additional reason not to cram or stay up the whole night before. If you ever had to choose between spending 2 or 3 more hours studying or getting sleep, ALWAYS choose the sleep. Studies have shown that being well rested and having slept improves test scores significantly more than pushing yourself studying last minute.

And, if you've done what I suggest above, there will be no need to cram. :)

I've heard that chewing peppermint gum while taking the test stimulates your brain and helps you remember, but I'm not sure about that one. Good luck with it all.

Method #1 of studying: make sure you actually understand the material. A lot of people I know just read the example problems and go over the homework and memorize how to do each type of problem. That will kill you on a test. Try doing extra problems out of the textbook to show that you understand what's happening and you can handle new types of problems. Make sure you can see in your head what's going on instead of thinking "let's see, when they ask this question you always use this equation".

It's the way I've done everything, and I never have problems. If I have a hard test, I save the worrying for after I'm done -- it'll just hurt me more while I'm taking it.

I've found that being aware that one test does not really matter when looked at in perspective really helps. I know that there is nothing I can do to prepare more while I'm taking the test, so I should just do what I can and be done with it.

Looks like iNow and Cap'n Refsmmat pretty much summed it up. For myself, I always make sure to understand the material as it is taught in class, and take some notes especially on things that are new to me. I don't take notes on things that I already know cause they will just get in the way. Immediately before the exam, I get a good nights sleep and spend about 5-15 minutes going over my notes immediately before the exam starts, focusing on the things that were hardest for me to remember. I'm not worried about the test cause I always do well on them, and because what is important to me is learning rather than grades.

always try to find old papers. Most universities and colleges post examples of papers on their websites. I've just finished going through last year's paper with my students and i'm delighted to discover that today's paper is VERY similar to it.

My stomach is in knots too, and i'm giving the exam, not taking it!

Thanks guys! I'm happy to hear that I'm not the only one with this problem! I have the final in a week and a test wednesday! I'm ALREADY in a panic! I know that I know the material for this test but what if he puts something on there to stump us and I freak out!? I'm afraid that I'm nothing but a little ball of stress right now! :-(

Alright, so I have finals coming up and for some reason I get really really REALLY stressed out when I take chemistry tests. :doh: Just chemistry. I used to do this with all of my tests but I learned that I just needed to breath and be confident that I'm a very smart person. My question is, is there something that would make me feel less anxious on my test thus making it easier to get high scores? Maybe there is a real good chemistry site I could go to that would help me with my studying? Or maybe some method of prepping myself right before the exam? Thanks for you help guys!

there are many sites, and if you want online classes, i am ready to offer you my help! send me a PM