Centrifugal force

RAJESHKUMAR110

Hello!

Did you try to search on Google or Wikipedia?

I think you should invest a little bit of time, before asking questions here. We are all volunteers who like to answer questions, but it's a little silly if somebody invests 15 minutes of time to explain something if you haven't even spent 1 minute to look it up. :D

Sorry if you already tried to find it. Your question is so short that it suggests you didn't try yet.

It's a force that doesn't exist.

I wouldn't go that far -- unless you are willing to agree that gravity is "a force that doesn't exist".

Centrifugal force is the pseudo force [math]-m \, \boldsymbol{\omega} \times (\boldsymbol{\omega} \times \boldsymbol{r})[/math] that arises when expressing the laws of physics in a rotating frame.

Like all other pseudo forces (e.g., inertial force, Coriolis force, gravitation), the centrifugal force vanishes when the observer is fixed with respect to an inertial frame.

I wouldn't go that far -- unless you are willing to agree that gravity is "a force that doesn't exist".

Centrifugal force is the pseudo force [math]-m \, \boldsymbol{\omega} \times (\boldsymbol{\omega} \times \boldsymbol{r})[/math] that arises when expressing the laws of physics in a rotating frame.

Like all other pseudo forces (e.g., inertial force, Coriolis force, gravitation), the centrifugal force vanishes when the observer is fixed with respect to an inertial frame.

How does gravitation vanish when fixed with respect to an inertial frame? I'm picturing a basic orbital system where the centripetal force is gravity.

Inertial frames in general relativity do not have infinite extent like they do in Newtonian mechanics. Suppose you have a tiny mass orbiting the Sun, far from Pluto. A cartesian reference frame with non-rotating set of axes and with its origin collocated with the tiny mass will form a local inertial frame. A nearby object also in orbit about the Sun will not appear to be undergoing any acceleration in that frame. Pluto will appear to be undergoing an acceleration, but that is because your frame is no longer inertial there.

Gravitation is a pseudo force in general relativity. You can always find an inertial frame in which there is no gravitational acceleration.

You can always find an inertial frame in which there is no gravitational acceleration.

I thought inertia was directly related to gravity..I may be wrong though.

wow..nvm i dont know what i was thinking.

Edited by guitarfrk451
dumb mistake