what do u get when u cool gas?

bloobelles

For most substances:- In a gas, the molecules are randomly moving around freely and are quite spaced out. As the temperature lowers (energy is lost from the system) and the molecules start to slow down and get slightly closer together - thus the pressure will drop if it is in an enclosed system - the cooler, the lower the pressure. When the temp is low enough (at/below the boiling point) the molecules havn't the energy to go flying around willy nilly anymore, so they settle down together and form a liquid. The molecules still move around the liquid radomly, but are much closer together and 'stay' together like in a liquid state. As you remove more energy, the molecules slow down.. and so on.

Does this help?

"Gas" is a state.

"Liquid" is also a state.

"Solid" is also a state.

I post this just in case the word "state" was confusing you. We say for example that water at 20 degrees C is in the "liquid state", and for example steel is at 20 degrees C in its "solid state".

what state in matter do u get when u heat gas. i just don't get it!. i understand that you get plasma but what state in matter is that?!:eek:

In an answer to this very much related other thread, I believe that some people consider plasma another state of matter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_matter

So, basically you've already answered the question in your opening post.