Mythbusters

Hey, does anyone else watch the show Mythbusters? I work for Discovery and I’m stoked for the new MythBusters episodes.... The guys are gonna be blowing up steak and pushing the limits of angry drivers on tomorrow's episode which airs at 9pm if you're watching with me, woohoo! I was thinking about taking a break from all the tv viewing since I was glued to Shark Week, haha, but I’m gonna have to make an exception.

A little trivia taken from their website for your brain to ponder:

The combined weight of all the world’s ants is equal to that of all the humans on earth… True or False?

What does the “33” represent on bottles of Rolling Rock beer?

The worlds largest flower is nearly 10 feet tall and smells like rotting meat… True or False?

-Brandon Sklar

quantumtechgeek@gmail.com

• 3 weeks later...

The combined weight of all the world’s ants is equal to that of all the humans on earth… True or False?

My guess: false. There are more ants than humans (both in absolute weight and obviously in numbers).

No clue, but I'm guessing the year of the first production: either 1833 or 1933.

The worlds largest flower is nearly 10 feet tall and smells like rotting meat… True or False?

True. One just flowered yesterday in the Netherlands, in a botanical garden. I'm sorry to spoil this one... the Dutch media spammed the country with articles about this flower.

I remember looking that up after someone said it was for the year prohibition was ended in the US. IIRC, no one knows for sure, not even the Rolling Rock folks (after putting it on their bottles for almost 70 years). It's one of those marketing things that fuel controversy without having a real answer. The more people speculate, the more curious people become about trying Rolling Rock.

The more people speculate, the more curious people become about trying Rolling Rock.

I have that curiosity for each and every beer in the world. Strange, because not all of them have big bright numbers on their bottles that fuel speculations. A real puzzle, this one!

I've heard that 33 was meant to represent the number of words in the beers slogan.

Rolling Rock from glass lined tanks in the Laurel Highlands. We tender this premium beer for your enjoyment as a tribute to your good taste. It comes from the mountain springs to you

But then I've also heard it was a mistake.

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_044.html