Electrolysis of ammonia to yield hydrogen

rahulsy

Can anyone help me to get maximum hydrogen from ammonia.

Which is best and cheapest method

if its electroysis how to do it and which electrodes

i guess if my equation can really work in real

nh3 + 2h2o + koh = kno3 + 4h2(gas)

electrolysis of ammonia mixed in water and koh added to it

plz help me out with my maximum yield for hydrogen.

The best and cheapest way to get hydrogen from ammonia is to heat it and pass it over a hot catalyst. It decomposes to N2 and H2.

Electrolysis won't really help here.

That equation you posted simply won't work and you seem to have muddled oxidation by peroxide with electrolysis.

the best and cheapest way to get hydrogen from ammonia is to heat it and pass it over a hot catalyst. It decomposes to n2 and h2.

That equation you posted simply won't work and you seem to have muddled oxidation by peroxide with electrolysis.

hello sir thanks for ur quick reply to my query

sir can u tell me in more details about solution u gave to my query.

Plz tell me in more details what u mean by pass it over hot catalyst.

Plz specify temperature what u mean by hot and which catalyst.

I ma not very familiar with chemistry experiment so plz help me. Just help me yeild maximum hydrogen from ammonia or any other source which is cheaper and economy.

Why would you want to do this? The energy put into (natural gas in the U.S.) making the ammonia (when coupled with the heat needed to split it) will exceed the energy recovered from combustion of the H2 so obtained.

The most efficient routes (that I know of) include:

1. Recovery of H2 from reformer gas (low BTU gas)

2. Electrolysis

At present, many facilities (including the carbon black plant nearby) reduce organic material to C and then flare the H2/CO (mostly H2, here) unless it feeds directly into a subsequent process (shift/carbonylation/reduction, etc.). They do this 24/7. It makes eerie, long purple plumes at night (they are invisible during the day). They might recover this if...It was cost effective--the hydrogen is there, but the energy needed to compress it is the killer.

Electrolysis (of water to H2 and O2) is clean and efficient but the energy going to the electrodes has to come from somewhere. Likewise, this method suffers from the compression expense. The electrolytes needed to make it work are corrosive (salt or acid). PEMS might help (more efficient than an ICE) but are expensive and require heaters (and they can be heavy for the minimmum 3kW needed to, say, move a very small car at a useful speed whilst bearing modest cargo).

At any rate, the scuttled ammonia facilities (due to the inability to profit over fuel) have recently been re-commissioned (as a result of skyrocketing fertilizer costs). This means that if you want to make H2, NH3 is not a cost-effective choice of feed.

Cheers,

O3

Originally Posted by john cuthber

the best and cheapest way to get hydrogen from ammonia is to heat it and pass it over a hot catalyst. It decomposes to n2 and h2.

hello sir thanks for ur quick reply to my query

sir can u tell me in more details about solution u gave to my query.

Plz tell me in more details what u mean by pass it over hot catalyst.

Plz specify temperature what u mean by hot and which catalyst.

I ma not very familiar with chemistry experiment so plz help me

• 3 months later...
you may get a lot of H2

with Al foil and NaOH...take care

i dont understand your answer verode and where it came from, if your answering the post that whould not work because ammonia is a covalent conpound not an ionic conpound.