Methyl Anthranilate

Ingpark1

We have a nasty Canada Goose problem and I understand that a Methyl Anthranilate mix works well in keeping them off the lawn (makes the grass taste bad). The drawback is that the cost of commercially available product is extremely costly. Is there any way to make a home-brew??

Thanks,

Steve in Greensboro,NC

We have a nasty Canada Goose problem and I understand that a Methyl Anthranilate mix works well in keeping them off the lawn (makes the grass taste bad). The drawback is that the cost of commercially available product is extremely costly. Is there any way to make a home-brew??

Thanks,

Steve in Greensboro,NC

get a bird scarer and don't spread organic chemicals on the land, even if someone who sells the stuff tells you it's harmless

We've spent quite a bit of money on different "bird scarers" and it doesn't phase them. Their droppings a increadible, you can't even walk across the back yard. It gets worse every year, and since they eat the grass to the quick, it's now starting to erode into the pond. E-coli is now concern where the kids swin in the shallow-end of the pond.

I know this is found naturally in grapes...any ideas as to the concentration? Would it be worthwile to visit a winery? Kool-aid is another big source...just can't take another $300 trial....

steve

Of course they are protected migatory birds and can only be harrassed and not hurt in any way. People shake and coat the eggs to limit theoffspring, but that is actualluy a federal offence. Being from the south, i am always thinking in terms of a good BBQ sauce...>:D...Sent a note to a wine chemist...haven't got a response on what the concentration of grape juice is and if it could be enhanced somehow, probably won't....

I went down to our little beach area tonight....the smell is...Ugggh...the local golf courses are going nuts as well....

Thanks,

Steve in NC

Get yourself an eagle or something :D ... or a dog, and teach it that hunting geese it fun, and appreciated. Dogs don't get tired of chasing something that easily.

I heard that in Canada, some golf courses now employ trained dogs (the same type that shepherds to keep the sheep together)... but if it's just for a relatively small patch of grass next to the house, any dog might do the trick.

I don't recommend synthetic chemicals (your kids are going to be playing there too, right), and I think fireworks are going to be a mess.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like we are going to do the dog route...no easy chemical way, perhaps a new fence will be cheaper! I get a new companion out of the deal as well. My daughters are trying to agree on a breed/mix, I just want one that likes to chase geese and not eat the poop! Not sure what to do at the beach area, the fake preditor deterents don't work at all. Thanks for all your help>>>

steve