expression of Indy gene in drosophila

Apparently the Indy gene, a Krebs cycle intermediate transporter, is expressed abundantly in fat body, midgut, and oenocytes. To me, this suggests that there's a locus controlling region regulating expression, but I haven't seen this reported anywhere.

Would it be safe to assume that this is true, or are there other gene regulation mechanisms which could also be at play?

It may well be cell/tissue specific that results in the locale of this gene being expressed. Different cells in different tissues express different genes, it's one of the reasons there is cell differentiation, and that life isn't just an amorphous blob of cells like bacteria.

• 1 month later...

hello

according to the work of Drs fei & Ganapathy Indy delivers metabolic substrates such as citrate and succinate to cells where they enter the powerhouse called the mitochondria. Inside the powerhouse, oxygen also is critical to the biochemical reaction that occurs to produce ATP, the fuel for cells, says Dr. Fei, molecular biologist.

Indy gene is only one of the life-determinant genes. But when the function of this single gene is knocked down, the animal can extend its lifespan."

It may well be cell/tissue specific that results in the locale of this gene being expressed. Different cells in different tissues express different genes, it's one of the reasons there is cell differentiation, and that life isn't just an amorphous blob of cells like bacteria.

yeah, I know this. I was trying to find out exactly what mechanism the differentiation occurs.

I thought that there's a locus controlling region (an upstream region that controls expression indirectly through the recruitment of other factors), but it could also be something else, through histone methylase recruitment or something like that. The problem was that I can't find a specific answer in the literature.

hello

according to the work of Drs fei & Ganapathy Indy delivers metabolic substrates such as citrate and succinate to cells where they enter the powerhouse called the mitochondria. Inside the powerhouse, oxygen also is critical to the biochemical reaction that occurs to produce ATP, the fuel for cells, says Dr. Fei, molecular biologist.

Indy gene is only one of the life-determinant genes. But when the function of this single gene is knocked down, the animal can extend its lifespan."

that really has nothing to do with my question... please read the OP before answering!

Edited by ecoli
multiple post merged

yeah, I know this. I was trying to find out exactly what mechanism the differentiation occurs.

Possibly by TF or RNA localisation during differentiation and in progenitor cell types. Histone methylation is more associated with an epigenetic "memory" than with differentiation, perhaps you meant Histone K acetylation?

I had a quick gander of at PubMed and couldn't find anything to suggest an enhancer or epigenetic regulation. Anyone's guess.

AFAIK the indy gene was primarily analysed as a potentially life expanding gene in Drosophila (which has been challenged recently). Given the fact that the transporter itself has been identified not so long ago, I doubt that there are very deep analyses regarding the regulation yet. Much less specific tissue-dependent regulatory networks.