Where are the Stars?

YT2095

here`s a question asked by my wife, to which I have no answer.

on the Moon Landing pictures and other manned pictures of space, there never seems to be any stars when looking at the black void of space, and yet here on a clear night we can see them? the Hubble provides pictures of mega distant galaxies, land based telescopes of many distant stars, and yet all manned space footage that we`ve seen seems to be without stars?

is there any reason for this?

Cheers :)

actualy the "moon landings" were incidental, what brought it up was a program about lightening as seen from space, and there was plenty of clear black void to see, yet not one star??

THEN we picked appart other manned footage :)

I agree "Light Pollution" is a real pain in the posterior, but that`s all for Earth based optics. the problem was with the space based ones.

the unmanned pictures seem to show the stars wonderfully, but where man is on board, there`s never any to be seen?

and before anyone starts to even THINK that I`m elluding to a hoax about man in space never happened, think again! as I`m sure NASA or whomever faked these pictures would have thought of that also and put them in!

so NO it`s nothing to do with that, it just seems odd?

I'm not sure the laws of physics on the moon differ from those on Earth tbh.

Probes can turn to face away from the largest light source. The astronauts on the moon were in the direct path of reflected light from Earth and light from the sun (which is powerful enough to bounce of the moon, make it back here, and still be coherent enough to let us see the thing even during the day), so they didn't really have a choice.

I really would have thought that nasa or the astronaughts would have thought about dimming the internal lights or taken pics when in shadow though?

seems odd that we`ve never seen any footage of that, or when the moon lander took off and the moon cam followed the craft upwards for a few degrees and stopped instead of taking as much footage as it could as we sped towards the orbiter and then earth, even the vids taken on X-Mas eve when they were on the dark side of the moon in orbit don`t show starts?

yet on a clear night here, with all the light polution and several mile of atmosphere, even very faint stars are quite "There" and unmistakable.

here`s a question asked by my wife' date=' to which I have no answer.

on the Moon Landing pictures and other manned pictures of space, there never seems to be any stars when looking at the black void of space, and yet here on a clear night we can see them? the Hubble provides pictures of mega distant galaxies, land based telescopes of many distant stars, and yet all manned space footage that we`ve seen seems to be without stars?

is there any reason for this?

Cheers :)[/quote']

On a clear night we can see stars. That's certainly true. But were the moon pictures taken at night? No. They were taken during the day. Since the pictures are not overexposed, the camera exposure must have been set to account for the amount of light available. If you took e.g. a 1/100 sec exposure at night, would you see stars? Probably not. The stars are just too faint to show up in the pictures.

Also, there is "earthlight" present in addition to the sunlight, which is much brighter than moonlight is on earth. First of all, the earth is bigger, so there's more area for the light reflection. Second, the earths albedo (reflectivity) is higher by about a factor of 3, so there is more light reflected per unit area.

• 5 months later...
I really would have thought that nasa or the astronaughts would have thought about dimming the internal lights or taken pics when in shadow though?

YT2095,

Maybe the following article from NASA can give you the answer you are looking for :

http://www.redzero.demon.co.uk/moonhoax/Stars.htm

A TV program called "Conspiracy Theory: Did We Land on the Moon?" aired in 2001 tried to convince people NASA lied about the landing on the Moon. So NASA did her best to prove the contrary.