Lasers/Particle beams/Disruptors etc...

YT2095

and a few others popularised in Sci-Fi.

I`m interested to know how the "Stun" setting could be possible?

granted, Stunning by electricity or EM waves of a frequency that directly influence the brain is indeed possible now. but does anyone know if it`s possible to actualy transmit that via a "light" beam without being so intense as to burn a hole through the subject?

light flashes can induce epileptic attacks as well, so is a Star Trek type of "Stun" setting possible?

well yeah ok thnx :)

but I was more seeking the mechanics behind the possibility of the idea, not that your deffinition isn`t welcome, it`s just not really helpfull. Unless you understand the workings of this principal, to me a phased energy rectifier would be a simple Diode (hardly lethal or stunning, LOL).

anyone else have a clue?

all the ideas I seem to have would either take ages, only work on some people, effect the user of the weapon just as much, or plain old burn them very badly!

all reasonable input welcome :)

Nadion??? never heard of it!?

[edit] come to think of it, I`ve never heard of a phaser outside of star trek with regards to a weapon.

Laser yes

Maser Yes

phaser erm,,, nope?

oh yeah, and Taser (great for lighting Gas BBQ`s) :)

probably, it doesn`t ring any bells with me, that`s for sure :)

lasers and masers do leave an IONISED path though, and at sufficient energies that path can be quite conductive! but unless the weapon can generate several million volts (not impossible) AND the weapon has an Earth strap (probably on the users shoe sole) then it either A. wont work or B. they both get 50% each of the voltage, so it`s left down to light as far as I can figure, maybe a certain frequency that induces epilepsy in the non-suceptible?

ya see the problem occurs when I watch stuff like that on TV and say "that`s a load of crap" and usualy end up explaining WHY it`s a load of crap and pi$$ing of the others that are watching it too, so I`m trying to give them a fighting chance here :)

sure would be cool to see a weapon capable of maintaining antimatter composition without combustion that could be aimed at a specific target and not annihilate until that very target has been reached. Some buildings can withstand wind, some can withstand fire, some can withstand electricity, some can withstand the force of an atomic explosion... but no building could withstand 'absolute' destruction. Hypothetically, there would be nothing the weapon couldnt destroy.

YT2095 said in post # :

lasers and masers do leave an IONISED path though, and at sufficient energies that path can be quite conductive! but unless the weapon can generate several million volts (not impossible) AND the weapon has an Earth strap (probably on the users shoe sole) then it either A. wont work or B. they both get 50% each of the voltage, so it`s left down to light as far as I can figure, maybe a certain frequency that induces epilepsy in the non-suceptible?

As far as phasers and disruptors go, they don't actually deliver that much power.

They are designed to induce an effect that's kind of a chain reaction.

Originally posted by Lance

The problem is directing the "lightning blast" and creating enough voltage to jump that far. Why would the lighting jump at the bad guy at not at yourself?

yea, i guess. just a thought

YT2095 said in post # :

ya see the problem occurs when I watch stuff like that on TV and say "that`s a load of crap" and usualy end up explaining WHY it`s a load of crap and pi$$ing of the others that are watching it too, so I`m trying to give them a fighting chance here :)

Better stop watching Voyager...oh, and don't even turn on TOS.

• 3 years later...
and a few others popularised in Sci-Fi.

I`m interested to know how the "Stun" setting could be possible?

granted, Stunning by electricity or EM waves of a frequency that directly influence the brain is indeed possible now. but does anyone know if it`s possible to actualy transmit that via a "light" beam without being so intense as to burn a hole through the subject?

light flashes can induce epileptic attacks as well, so is a Star Trek type of "Stun" setting possible?

Yes.. Sort of anyway..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolaser

electrolaser is a type of directed-energy weapon. It uses lasers to form an electrically conductive Laser-Induced Plasma Channel (LIPC). A fraction of a second later, a powerful electric current is sent down this plasma channel and delivered to the target, thus functioning overall as a large-scale, high energy, long-distance version of the Taser electroshock gun.