Physics undergrad: IIT vs. CMU

NMajik

I've narrowed my college decision down to two choices, Illinois Institute of Technology or Carnegie Mellon University. I'm going to major in physics and plan to pursue a master's and likely doctorate in high energy physics. Can anyone offer any suggestions to help my decision?

I'm not familiar with either, nor am I in the US.

I'm going to assume they're both research univerisites, so I'd make sure they both have groups that work in what you think you're interested in. Visit them both and see how they feel... the feel can be rather important imo, if you go somewhere where you don't feel at home you have a much higher chance of not sticking it out...

Also, try to sit in on a few of the physics instructor's lessons, and or visit them in their office to meet them and get a "feel" for them.

Per differences in the schools themselves, I am not familiar enough with either to help with that. I do, however, wish you all the best. :)

Thanks for the responses so far.

CMU is definitely better known and a better school overall, IIT's proximity and relationship with Fermilab is what is making me even consider it.

How much research can I hope to do as an undergrad?

How much research can I hope to do as an undergrad?

None of your own, really, but you might be able to sweep the floors in someone else's lab! :D

I don't mean this to distract you from the social networking and seminars and instructor talks from which you'd benefit by going there...

I dunno for the US system, but in the UK ug masters students normally do a single big project in their final year which will be for a large part their own work.

I've done a 2 year one, because we're a bit unusual at my uni... And I've actually discovered something which hasn't been seen before, which is relatively unusual.

But if you want to do research most research groups will have some summer internships available, or be able to make one available, they're worth it, I've done 3 in 2 different research groups and they where really very cool!

Oh really, well congrats Kalynos, I'm glad to hear. Would you like to share that with us? (unless classified)

At this point in time no ;) It would be pretty meaningless unless you work in spintronics or magneto-optics :|