is it safe!?

YT2095

I live on the top floor penthouse 13 stories high, we`re having SEVERE gales here!!! I can feel myself sway side to side!

I`ve attatched a wire to the ceiling with a heavy 3 kilo microwave transformer on the other end just above the floor and a laser pointer on that, the beem hits a peice of Graph paper, the movement is 5mm either way!

I`m kinda tempted to leave and sit in the car or something, this really doesn`t feel right, kinda sea sick(ish) :(((

I`ve never known it this bad! we had a 4.8 earthquake last year, but that was only about 2 seconds, this just seems to be carrying on forever :(

[edit] someones just lost a window and their clothes are being blown out! holy crap I hope my greenhouse is gunna be ok!

I`m more than a little unnerved by this in all honesty, my crude seismometer only showed 5mm eitherway, but that`s quite a bit I think, esp when it`s concrete and steel structure built in the 60`s.

concrete doesn`t bend, it cracks and shatters :(

Well look at it this way, it must have endured stronger winds than this if its such an old building.

The fact it is still standing means its strong enough to stay up.

But if you dont want my voice of reason then OH MY GOD YOUR GOING TO DIE ARGHHHHHHHHH

yeah, a little reasurance helps, stupid as it sounds, there`s not much that bothers me or worries me at all, dangerous chems, explosives, high voltage, spiders/snakes etc...

but I don`t like Heights!

holy smeg! 7mm each way just :((

it makes it worse because I`m one of these typists that looks at the keys most of the time, and in doing that the effect seems 10x worse when it does move. Beer time I recon!

if anyone else wants to try this movement sensor idea, it`s really quite simple, just dont use light fitting to hang the wire off, and if you dont have a transformer for the pendulum weight, fill a plastic 2 litre or more pop bottle with water and use that. if you dont have a laser pointer to attatch to it, use a long needle to seleotape to it as the pointer, it only needs to be a few mm from touching the floor, it DOES work :)

well NO, it bloody well wasn`t safe at all!!!!!

my shed has been blown apart and is lying in the middle of the road (numerous items stollen too), my greenhouse (less that 2 weeks old) is in bits also, so no it damn well wasn`t safe!!!

10 others have been smashed too, and there`s 3 other greenhouses less than 2 foot tall now :((

at least my frame was 100% solid.

I`ll probably NOT be on as much over the next few days, I have MUCH damage to repair and many others to help out too!

for the ones that have PM`d me and Emailed me, I WILL answer you ALL!!!!! I just need to get some stuff sorted 1`st

Sorry for any delays! :(((

greg1917 said in post # :

Well look at it this way, it must have endured stronger winds than this if its such an old building.

The fact it is still standing means its strong enough to stay up.

hehe... not including decay and a random chance of stronger than ever winds...