What languages do you speak?

CDarwin

What languages do you speak?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What languages do you speak?

I only speak English really...both proper Canadian English and the Saskatchewan redneck dialect.

I also have a smattering of Cree and Ukrainian, mostly obscenity.

I have a good working knowledge of various jargons as well...hot rod, photographic, carpentry, plumbing, landscaping etc. Those are roughly based on English, but you'd be hard-pressed to know that some days. ;)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I speak English and Spanish. But I understand Portuguese. Or at least I could when I was a kid visiting Brazil. I'd speak Spanish and the people would answer in Portuguese.

It's exactly like this.

Because we're used to people from Argentina and Spanish is very similar to Portuguese.

• 2 weeks later...

I figured this would be the best place to post this considering we are talking about languages. So, my girlfriend is heading back to visit her parents in Liechtenstein at the end of this month and posted a bulletin about it on Myspace.

The message was written in the Alemannic dialect (a mish mash of german-swiss-austrian) she speaks and was directed at her friends over there. But so many of her friends here have been puzzled by what it says, so she jokingly challenged everyone to try and translate it insisting no one would be able to.

I know the gist of the message is about her upcoming flight but, what the message literally says, I've just started working on. So, I wondered if there was anyone here who could give me a hand...her only rule was I couldn't contact any of her friends from Liechtenstein. Here's the text:

"July flueg i do ab unf land z Zuerich am erschta!!!!! I hoff d Begrueassigs-party isch scho voll in Vorbereitungs-mode :P

I glob mer konnds d Abschieds-party fo 2006 no toppa, ha?!"