is too much wisdom bad?

justin

Should one insist on finding wisdom if everything that he finds out is bad? and should he seek truth knowing that the truth is usually overwelmed by evil?>:D Is it our best intention to simply stay an ordane, confined organism, who understands nothing but what he is told, and who oporates mostly on mean of survival and human nature??????

Finding wisdom is one thing and searching for it is another.

Often when searching for one thing (wisdom, in this case) and focusing on it we lose track of all those other things that we could be finding.

Good and evil is one of those non-existing dichotomies that we love to attach ourselves to. There is a middle ground between them where things are as they are, from any and every point of view.

Is it our best intention to simply stay an ordane, confined organism, who understands nothing but what he is told, and who oporates mostly on mean of survival and human nature??????

You can understand anything you want, but with more complicated things you do have to find trustworthy sources. How you operate is your own choice :)

I would say. That truth is always good. It is not possible to find evil truth. For example: If your wife cheats on you. Would you live happily without knowing it and wife sharing bed with someone else? or knowing it and doing what is necessary?

And wisdom is just as good as truth. you can never know too much. Because more you know the better chance you have to get out of trouble ( beginning from math and ending with survival)

Truth is Always a good thing, whether you Like it / agree with it / or despise it or not.

shoving ones head in the sand to hide from it, is Never the answer.

Not always. When it comes to one's mating potential, it is much more advantageous to wear rosy-tinted glasses. They did a study on that somewhere. If some people knew how pathetic they were, they wouldn't get their girl and pass on their genes. So people have evolved in some cases to be at least partially blind to the truth.

What is necessary?

For a long, stable relationship it is more important to be able to resolve problems than to never have them. Because there will always be problems, no matter how hard you try to avoid them.

For a long, stable relationship it is more important to be able to resolve problems than to never have them. Because there will always be problems, no matter how hard you try to avoid them.

right but the problem you were talking about here is one that started long before the man found out that his wife was cheating on him. the question to be asked is why was she cheating? that is a problem in itself. but the question as to what is necessary was meant to be asked at the point when the man finds himself with a cheating wife: what is his next step; what action is, as markus said, "necessary"?

Don't confuse knowledge with wisdom. Wisdom is knowing what to do for the best with whatever knowledge you have. Having too much knowledge can reveal too many possible courses of action, realising none are ideal, and resulting in indecision, prevarication, and inertia. Wisdom on its own seldom got the job done.

well. you are saying that when none option is ideal someone can not make decision? Id say that when person has wisdom he knows how to choose best option from all options.

(Sorry for confusing about meaning of word wisdom. but i think that idea is almost the same.)

EDIT: So i still say that one can not have too much wisdom!

Let me put it another way: Wisdom is a subjective value. One man's wisdom is another's folly. Knowledge is quantifiable and can be subjected to the rigours of scientific evaluation.

A self-styled wise man who says he can make the best possible judgement in any given situation is, in my opinion, more likely to be a pontificating dangerous lunatic or at least suffering from delusions of grandeur.

Let me put it another way: Wisdom is a subjective value. One man's wisdom is another's folly. Knowledge is quantifiable and can be subjected to the rigours of scientific evaluation.

A self-styled wise man who says he can make the best possible judgement in any given situation is, in my opinion, more likely to be a pontificating dangerous lunatic or at least suffering from delusions of grandeur.

Wisdom is somewhat quantifiable. You compare how many good decisions he did with how many bad decisions (including the decision not to decide). Someone who makes good long-term decisions is wise. The difficulty in measuring wisdom is that it takes a long time to see if a decision was good or bad, and in any case that could be blurry (there may have been a better decision, or luck involved).

Of course, anyone claiming to be very wise is most likely an arrogant fool. Wise people tend to be humble. The more you understand, the more you know that what you know is pathetically little.

Wisdom is one of those words I absolutely HATE. It has a different meaning for everyone who uses it.

My dear old (now departed) Dad used the word a lot, generally meaning that he had it and I didn't, and that meant I should listen to him. But my father's definition basically meant believing everything in the bible. As a dyed in the wool agnostic, I cannot accept that definition.

When I was a science teacher in Fiji, the local community considered me to be 'wise'. It was a label I could not accept, and I shuddered each time I was so accused. Their definition of wise meant educated.

I think it is quite inappropriate for the science forum to debate something based on a word so ill defined.

I would rather debate the value of scientific 'truth'.

The definition of scientific 'truth' meaning discoveries that have been verified by enough testing to have reasonable confidence that they are strong models of reality.

Wisdom is kind of a big picture assessment skill. The more you know overall, the better judgement you make. It can only be acquired by experience and knowledge. Therefore, older is not necessarily wiser if one insists on keeping their head in the ground about factual knowledge, but experience can make up for it, to an extent.

I don't think one can ever be too wise though. It's kind of like one of those graphs that never quite reaches the axis. You can never know everything and not everything you find is bad. It's just that very little you find is perfect. Well, except maybe for scientific law, but we have not quite yet perfected that. :)

NeonBlack This forum is not a place i was hoping this amount of irony from :D but i hope once i get used to it (it takes to know people to get the irony so it just takes some time) And english is not my native language. I got rather acceptable level of it but it just is not good enough for this forum. when i was gaminig then people just asked what dialect i speak. once the time shall come when i get what ye all is about...

SkepticLance How can we debate on scientific 'truth'? most of us here take it same. (at least those who go for science not against it) :rolleyes: