High tech paintball

ydoaPs

I was playing video games for once and started wondering: are [acr=Heads Up Display]HUDs[/acr] feasible? I was thinking of maybe a clear flexible [acr=Organic Light Emitting Diode]OLED[/acr] on the inside of the mask to display a "radar" and other things such as battery life and air pressure for the gun. For the "radar", I was thinking a [acr=Global Positioning System]GPS[/acr] combined with an [acr=Ifrared]IR[/acr] detector to sort of detect hotspots and calculate their position. This information (and similar information gathered from teammates via wireless communication) could be used to place dots where there is known to be an object with a temperature around that of the average body temperature. I guess it depends upon the speed of the information gathering and calculations, really. Has anyone seen anything like this available?

edit:Are there IR cameras small enough small enough?

Well i know that GRAW (Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter) has created it a little more realistic. the hud is displayed in the glass thats right bout the eye. and the camera is in the helmet.

i think i have seen something close to this in "future weapons" but i don't recall when and what it exactly was :(

• 1 month later...

I wish it were true *sigh.* I'm not sure that such an HUD would be practical, but hey, we're all hoping.

However, it's interesting to note that the military is developing the "Future Force Warrior" (maybe what markus.dnd was talking about). If you want to find out more, google it and click on the first link.

I wish it were true *sigh.* I'm not sure that such an HUD would be practical, but hey, we're all hoping.

However, it's interesting to note that the military is developing the "Future Force Warrior" (maybe what markus.dnd was talking about). If you want to find out more, google it and click on the first link.

Right, I think the HUD would be slightly less practical than what you have in mind, it would be hard to see, and if you made it any bigger, it would be incredibly distracting.

Right, I think the HUD would be slightly less practical than what you have in mind, it would be hard to see, and if you made it any bigger, it would be incredibly distracting.

Not if you put it in the peripheral view especially in paint balling it would show where all your team mates are on a map and would be even more useful if there was a way to relay information to each other about the enemies position.

Not if you put it in the peripheral view especially in paint balling it would show where all your team mates are on a map and would be even more useful if there was a way to relay information to each other about the enemies position.

Hey, antimatter's got valid points. If you've ever looked down the sights of an airsoft or paintball gun, you'll know that your vision's focused directly on your target.

Also, your peripherals aren't good at determining what something is, but they are good at detecting movement. Therefore, you'd see people moving on the HUD and team chat, but you couldn't see exactly where they where and what your teamates are saying (BTW, how would they enter letters?).

Kinda obsolete in my opinion.

Ever play Halo?

:D

Yes, actually.

I didn't particularly enjoy it though.

Hey, antimatter's got valid points. If you've ever looked down the sights of an airsoft or paintball gun, you'll know that your vision's focused directly on your target.

Also, your peripherals aren't good at determining what something is, but they are good at detecting movement. Therefore, you'd see people moving on the HUD and team chat, but you couldn't see exactly where they where and what your teamates are saying (BTW, how would they enter letters?).

Kinda obsolete in my opinion.

Right, it would just get very very distracting after a while.

Therefore, you'd see people moving on the HUD and team chat, but you couldn't see exactly where they where and what your teamates are saying (BTW, how would they enter letters?).

Microphone?

Read the post by Psycho, youdadonapgogs. He was talking about the chat mounted on the peripherals. But a microphone would work, unless you needed to be super stealthy.

I'm not seeing anything in Psycho's post about chat in the peripherals.

He said "it would be even more useful if there was a way to relay information to each other about the enemies position." "It" indicates the HUD.

And where in that quote does it talk about a text chat?

That's not text chat!

I didn't say it was. Where was the text chat mentioned? I remember YOU bringing it up.

edit: The only way to know what Psycho meant is to ask Psycho, but he/she never mentioned text chat in this thread.

The only way to know what Psycho meant is to ask Psycho, but he/she never mentioned text chat in this thread.

I'll give you that much. Discussion on what Psycho meant will be closed until we can ask him/her.

But I maintain my point that such a device would be impractical, something that the military is still researching.

Read the post by Psycho, yourdadonapgogs. He was talking about the chat mounted on the peripherals. But a microphone would work, unless you needed to be super stealthy.

You just wire a controller to the side of the gun and have a infra-red laser. When you see the enemy you aim the gun, hit the button and the position the laser is pointing at comes up as an enemy dot on the map, in reality you would just aim at a tree near them or the floor as to give a general position of an enemy unit.

It would be more of a long range technique or if there are multiple units and they are flanking you.

By in your peripheral I mean that in the mask you would have a screen in the corner so when you looked up and left you could look at it, the only disadvantage is to see someone who was in the same position as the map you would have to turn your head, and if you are aiming your head should line up with the sight of the gun and then gun should move with your eye line.

You just wire a controller to the side of the gun and have a infra-red laser. When you see the enemy you aim the gun, hit the button and the position the laser is pointing at comes up as an enemy dot on the map, in reality you would just aim at a tree near them or the floor as to give a general position of an enemy unit.

It would be more of a long range technique or if there are multiple units and they are flanking you.

By in your peripheral I mean that in the mask you would have a screen in the corner so when you looked up and left you could look at it, the only disadvantage is to see someone who was in the same position as the map you would have to turn your head, and if you are aiming your head should line up with the sight of the gun and then gun should move with your eye line.

Don't mean to be a skeptic, but wouldn't an HUD would make the purpose of snipers obsolete? After all, a sniper's main advantage is not long-range, but stealth.

Don't mean to be a skeptic, but wouldn't an HUD would make the purpose of snipers obsolete? After all, a sniper's main advantage is not long-range, but stealth.

When was the last time you saw a sniper in paint balling, that and the fact that if you are seen then the person could just shout sniper up their.

But for all intensive purposes if sniping actually happened in paint balling then yes it would defeat the purpose of them, the problem? I don't see it, if they were good enough in the first place they wouldn't get seen.

I guess you're right.

Also, what about an HUD reticle, so that it's like an FPS? Don't know too much about real HUD technology, but is it possible?

I was more talking about FPSs than in real life, not sure if it is actually possible, but it is an idea for someone to look into for the future, I would guess it is possible now but no where near profitable, due to the price of the hardware.

Might be cooler in laser quest as then you know when someone is hit so you can knock them off the map plus it will give an even more sci-fi style to the whole experience.

Hmmm...

Why don't they have snipers in paintball, it would certaintly add a whole new level to the game

Because they aren't accurate enough and if you go shoot someone from 5 meters with a "sniper" paint ball gun then it is going to break them.

My friend has a £300 paint ball and decided it would be a good idea to shoot himself in the arm and record it in slow motion on his phone, he has a scare there now.