Physics Major?

Observer

I'm currently a freshman in a community college and I am struggling to figure out my major. I put off going to a four-year univeristy because I do not want to waste time or money figuring out I need to be somewhere else.

In high school I did really well, and enjoyed, Physics, and I already had 10 credits in physics before college. I just do not see myself in a lab all day every day studying Classical Physics. I tried engineering, but that doesn't quite fit either.

Wave/Light and Theoretical Physics REALLY interest me though. One thing I've always thought would be cool is to live in ancient Rome or Greece because there were still new things to discover. The more I read about Theroetical Physics in the forums, the more I think it is right for me.

So I have a few questions.

1.Would my major be as simple as a Physics major? If not, then what?

2.What is a good University to study that major? (Preferably in Illinois or within a a few hours of Chicago-land, but I'm not going to be picky!! Anywhere is fine.)

3.What kind of jobs are there for this kind of work?

Thank you.

1. I'm not sure what you mean. They'll probably want you to choose an emphasis such as theoretical physics or particle physics.

2. University of Chicago is good. Other places in the midwest: Michigan or Madison.

3. You can do almost anything with physics- engineering, research, teaching and many fields not related to physics- computer science, medicine, even stock market.

Employers everywhere like physics majors because they're smart and know how to solve problems.

During your undergrad years, you won't be stuck in a lab studying classical physics all day. Right now, I'm spending less than 10 hours per week in the lab (that number might go up towards the end of the semester though)

and I have 1 classical electromagnetism class and one math class and 1 non-technical class.

So I have a few questions.

1.Would my major be as simple as a Physics major? If not, then what?

2.What is a good University to study that major? (Preferably in Illinois or within a a few hours of Chicago-land, but I'm not going to be picky!! Anywhere is fine.)

3.What kind of jobs are there for this kind of work?

Thank you.

1. It will depend on where you get your degree from, here we no longer do Theoretical Physics degrees, but it's possible to take all the theoretical modules (we we have a new combined hons maths and theoretical course). The old theory course had alot less practical, but you need to know how the other half think...

2. Not sure, I'm not from the US so *shrug*. I do know a theoretical phycists who works with liquid crystal modelling and he's recently moved to Cleveland, Ohio

3. Well optics, is a very big field and is according to most predictions going to become a larger research area. But as well as this phycists are wanted for jobs in finance industry and many other areas...

To add to the above...

I'm a physics undergrad (for another few months!!!) and I spend about 9 hours a week in a lab, but it's a research lab, I'm working on my own project that no one at my university has done before and we're trying a new method that hasn't been used anywhere in the world. So it's in no way just learning classical physics...

I've only done one module on classical mechanics in the last year and a half and that was an optional module and was a theoretical model... good fun it was too... see my blog for analytical dynamics sections...

In the US at the undergraduate level you generally don't have too much of an emphasis on what type of physics; maybe if you do a research project or something, or take electives, but the curriculum is mostly standardized. Everybody takes general physics, thermo, "modern" physics, advanced mechanics, E&M, quantum mechanics. (and some required math and probably chemistry classes) Specialization pretty much waits for graduate school.

And, personally, I'd rank a schools reputation lower than whether the characteristics of the school (e.g. size, university vs college, campus/off-campus life, location) are a good fit. Plenty of decent schools within a few hours of Chicago.

Ok that really helps. I just wasn't sure if there was some branch off major from Physics, like there is with chemisty and biology (biochemistry for example).

So I would just major in Physics and specialize in graduate school. Makes sense.

And I'm happy to hear there are many jobs out there for physics majors. I was told that the only things I could do with it were teach or research. I like to know I have options.