acceleration / time?

YT2095

Just a quicky...

something that`s always bugged me with Time dilation idea, is that it`s always said that it`s due to Acceleration.

so I`m wondering if you are traveling VERY fast but at a constant velocity, does the time dilation effect Stop?

in other words using the Twin in a spaceship and one on Earth example, does the guy in the ship have to be Constantly going Faster for 10 years or can he cruise for 9 years of it at a very fast speed?

OR...

is all the "work" done as he`s accelerating to that speed so he may as well stop and head back at that point as the effect will be the same?

If I`m doing 90% light speed and staying at that speed (not accelerating or slowing down), is time dilation happening, or was it only happening as I was working UP TO that speed?

something that`s always bugged me with Time dilation idea, is that it`s always said that it`s due to Acceleration.

Is it?

[math] \Delta t' = \frac {\Delta t} {\sqrt {1-\frac {v^2} {c^2}}}[/math]

Not acceleration term.

When talking about the twins paradox you have to consider acceleration because the travelling twin has to accelerate 3 times (take of, turn around and landing), and that means you can't use special relativity.

<grunt> Thread reopened.

The thing about the acceleration is that two observers in relative moton won't agree whose clock is right and whose is wrong. Each sees the other's clock as running slow. Accelerations aren't relative — you can tell if you're accelerating — and you know that's the person whose clock has changed.

Thread really closed now.