Ecological Footprint Calculator

Reaper

I found this site posted at another forum. What this is is a "calculator" that basically measures the impact your habits have on the environment. And not just your carbon footprint. It asks you a series of questions, ranging from car usage to daily recycling habits, and then it gives you the result based on number of planets (meaning it tells you that you are living as if there were X amount of Earths available). It's based on the UK statistics, but that's ok because it only serves to provide a perspective.

You can try it out here: http://footprint.wwf.org.uk/

=====================

BTW, I rated 2.22 Earths. While certainly less than most people (according to UK statistics), that's still quite significant. Time to reconsider my habits.....

• 3 weeks later...

I came out about the same. Then I did it again, ticking every minimum box I could. Came out at 1.69. Still damned. I reckon if I was dead they would still say I was destroying the planet. It's just a scam to get you to pay money and sign up to something. The questionaire is a bit of a joke, I sniggered, but the already converted won't laugh, I guess.

I think this is a good example of a fact, its not easy being green. Such is sort of difficult to obtain because it requires a good deal of manual actions that don’t happen to fall into the norm of typical economic strategies in a giving area at large globally. Many places this in changing on a national level but major nations still lack any consensus drive I think.

It equates on a populous level. Companies which supply energy probably do not use the most sophisticated equipment to supply energy, along with many building strategies that overall reflect lack of simple energy conservation techniques is most likely a major source of waste. An initiative to end that in some time based strategy could probably produce a very noticeable reduction in energy consumption based on millions of people in use in a major nation, much like the overall use of a hybrid automobile. Such technology yet does not exist in major concentration i think to take effect, its still relatively new compare to the history and use of the automobile.

To then equate this simply to the daily apparatus a person might use while at work or at home shows that green versions of technology can exist as options but currently reside in a few active forms sparingly used overall, quite sad really.